❛ go to her ❜

three...

two...

one! 

and the room explodes.

The game is simple. The teacher calls out a number then presses play on a remote. Music blares from the speakers and the students gathered in the large hall start to move to the beat of Fancy. Sweaty bodies shake with abandon, the awkwardness at the start of the game forgotten. The girls stop paying attention to how close they are dancing with the boys. the boys stop trying to mimic those moves from Music Bank and develop their own style of wriggling. 

but everyone's eyes are on the teacher's fingers. 

They want to get a head start. For when he presses that button again, the music will cease. And that's the cue to get together in groups of the number called out before the music began. If you're not in a group by the end...

well

There's no consequence. But the game draws out everyone's competitive side anyways.

especially as the number called out begins to get smaller. 

It starts at a whopping seven. Bodies thrash around and launch into each other as septets are formed. Those left out sigh heavily and receive pats on the back. Their disappointment is only momentary as the teacher calls out the number five. 

It happens again. Students crash into each other with force. The groups are tight. Hands fiercely grab at shoulders and waists. It's intimate. 

and everyone notices. 

they're waiting. like sharks that have smelt blood. they know that the teacher will call the number two. 

so they all keep their eyes on his fingers. 

"Three!" when the music of Violeta stops, Lee Samjin does not have time to focus. She is busy dancing to her favorite song. There's no need to bother, though. She's encased by two bodies. Kim Iljin and Park Yijin. Her best friends. Or are they? I didn't choose to be their friends. The writer made me. 

No matter now. Iljin and Yijin's laughs are infectious and it allows Samjin to forget her rough predicament for once. 

that is

until her eyes drift over to dohwa.

He's near Juda, of course. But his trio consists of Danoh, Haru and himself. Samjin scowls at the way he stares at Juda, Namjoo and Saemi's trio. 

"What's wrong?" Iljin is quick to pick up on the slackness of Samjin's hold. Mentally shaking herself off, Samjin gives a thankful smile.

"Nothing. Just out of breath," she says, wishing it were true.

why

why am i so angry

this is what we've been working towards. 

dohwa will make his move now.

he's right next to juda.

the teacher just needs to call out the number two.

Samjin can see Juda's eyes turn to Dohwa, as if she is watching it on a movie screen.

That's right, Lee Dohwa.

go to her

"Two!" and Some plays. Cheers erupt and many students start singing along. Samjin's voice is half-hearted at first, but she twists her head away from Dohwa and Juda.

She focuses on Iljin and Yijin instead.

these days 

it feels like you're mine

it seems like you're mine but not

Both girls begin edging towards Namjoo. Samjin scoffs. What did I expect? She supposes there will be a crowd around him, then. Two would never work. Everyone wants Oh Namjoo. Samjin is unsure if she should play along despite being in shadow. But she only needs a second of contemplation before she is firm in her resolve to not follow the writer's commands like a sheep. 

She pulls back, letting her body flow with the music. Her eyes are closed, her attention no longer on the teacher's fingers. She has already accepted this as her solo round. 

i want to open my eyes to your text every morning

i want to fall asleep with your voice at the end of the day

on the weekends, i want to hug you

in front of a lot of people as if i'm showing off

The music cuts.

Samjin can hear the girls screaming. She almost grins when Shin Saemi's voice soars above the others. But all Samjin cares about is the song. She tries to finish in her head. Unfortunately, the melody draws off.

And she's almost knocked to the floor. 

Samjin grits her teeth, ready to rip into the person who literally took her breath away. 

She opens her eyes to meet Lee Dohwa's doe-like ones. 

"Wh-."

She registers his arm encircling her waist.

His chest against hers. So close she swears she can feel his heart beating. 

His gaze is piercing. But there's a hint of confusion. 

"L-Lee Dohwa, why didn't you go to her?"

"W-what?"

"You had your chance! With Juda! She was looking at you."

His grip slackens and Samjin has a hard time restraining herself from drawing him closer.

"I-I don't...I don't know." 

"What? What's that supposed to mean?" 

Dohwa looks back towards Juda. She's staring at him, even while drowning in the crowd around Namjoo. Samjin notes that it's painful for Dohwa to turn back to her. 

Well, if it's painful, why didn't you just grab her in the first place, you idiot?

But she doesn't say that.

"I-."

"You?"

"I don't know."

"You said that already," Samjin starts to push him off, but his grip is strong despite being loose.

"It-it was just...," his brows are close together and his eyes dart around Samjin's face as if searching for an answer. 

"Just what? Spit it out!" Samjin slips into her stage persona as she hisses at him. 

"Instinct..." His brown orbs settle on hers again. They found the answer they were looking for. 

"What?"

"Instinct." And this time, his voice is firm. 

His grip is still slack. But he does not let go. 

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

prologue end.