o n e

"What went before is yet to come."

Lame, I know. But that's what I got when a fortune teller, an old lady, predicted my future.

This in fact, didn't help at all. Instead of giving a clear view of my future, it seems that it gets blurry even more.

That old lady just wants my money in exchange for her so-called fortune-telling.

Why did I even believe that? Oh, I remember! Trevor, my boyfriend and his good-for-nothing friends had a major silliness contest and provoked me to take the old lady's readings. That's what happened. Clever right? Ha-ha.

Then this dreaded day comes.

My father, Percival Morrison, forced me to go on a trip to grandma's hometown where internet connection and wifi signals are hopeless.

What's the deal? I should go alone.

How can I survive one week with no facebook, IG, or twitter?

The last time I visited Lormont was when I'm only 7 years old. That was like 11 years ago! I know many things had change. And maybe I don't even like that old place anymore, unlike when I was a kid.

"Come one, Danielle! Don't you miss your Lola Eva?" I heard my father said while I was thinking of coming or not.

He said he wanted me to take a break. City life is so much tiring. It comes with pressures, stress, pollutions; bar hoping (I don't do that, though), and endless school works especially I'm in senior high school.

Some breathe of fresh air would calm my inner self. I'm not disturbed so I think I don't need that kind of soul searching.

"Danielle, you need this. Trust me. And someday, you'll thank me for this..." I don't know what's got into me but I nodded in agreement.

He smiled wide which kind of showed his dimples then he hugged me. Maybe this vacation wouldn't be boring as I thought. But who am I kidding? My life's a big, boring jungle. This vacation won't be an exception.

Still, in the corner of my mind, I was hoping that it will.

• • •

I gush of cold breeze greeted me the moment I stepped my foot on the road. I just arrived here.

The air is fresh and somehow it radiates warmth around me. Or is it just my imagination?

A big sign placed in the side of the road says 'Welcome to Lormont!' Such nice greetings.

I was about to carry my luggage when someone bumped into me which causes my bags to fall. But instead of apologizing, he just looked at me and then he run away. I never thought that people living here can be this rude.

I rode a tricycle that will lead me to Morrison Residence. It was a large compound with about 3 houses inside. The biggest house is—as far as I know—my Lola Eva's, then the other two were my Uncle's and Auntie's. Then just a mile away were the fields, owned of course by the Morrison's.

"Danielle, darling!" Lola Eva welcomed me with a warm hug.

I took her right hand then, "Mano po Lola. Glad to be back! He-he."

I let out a nervous laugh. Maybe because I'm not that honest about what I said.

"Let's come inside!" Then the maid opened the big house's wide double doors and left us in the living room.

Whoa. That's all I can say.

This house is really beautiful. More beautiful than the last time I saw it! It has a large window that lets the wind come inside easily. Then in the center, just behind the sofa, were a big painting. It was Lolo Paul and Lola Eva's wedding day I guess, because Lola's on her white wedding gown.

They look so happy and in love it makes me want to believe in forever.

"Do you miss your Lolo Paul, Danielle?" Lolo Paulito died when I was 7. Yes, I'm here the day he died. That's the last time I've seen him. I was saddened when it occurred to me that Lolo really is gone.

"Of course Lola, I miss how he carries me and run at the fields like he was Superman. How about you Lola?"

It was a stupid question because I already know the answer, but I asked it anyway.

"I missed him so much. Sometimes, I was thinking of following him wherever he may be. But I know that time will come soon. I still have some business here on Earth." I can see how sad my Grandmother is.

"I remember how he kisses me on my cheeks after giving me chocolate and flowers. He would sing to me when we're off to sleep. He has a very sweet voice you know, Danielle. When you're going to have a boyfriend, make sure he has a good voice."

I do have a boyfriend, but he sucks at singing.

Speaking of boyfriend, he hasn't called since yesterday.

"Your Lolo always make sure that he reminds me of how he loves me everyday by saying 'I love you.' He never misses a day without saying it. That simple gesture makes my heart beats fast. Even though we're too old for that cheesiness, he still does it."

"You're never too old for anything. Especially when you're in love."

That makes her smile. I saw how time had taken away her beauty; with all those wrinkles and white hairs. But her smile, it's still as genuine as before. I can say that she's still beautiful as always.

"You're right, Danielle. Have you found your Soulmate already?" she asked. And I asked myself too. Have I already found my other half? Is Trevor my Soulmate?

"I heard from your dad that you have a boyfriend. Are you in doubt that he's your Soulmate?"

For a moment, I felt like Lola is right. I'm in doubt. I'm not sure if he's the one. Yes, we do what all the other couples do. We like each other. But is it enough? Is he the one I want to spend forever with?

"Hija, when in doubt, don't." She declared before my other Uncles, Aunties and other cousins entered the house.