CHAPTER 1: A LOST WORLD

Ailee's POV

         The air was bitter cold and bone chilling. It was spring almost Easter yet it still snowed as if it was a white winter. The air creeped around me as I stood in silence. I pulled my scarf closer to my face and cupped my hands together for warmth. I looked to my left expecting to see him walking towards me. I shivered at the sight of the sinister looking young man just down the street from me. He was wearing a black trench coat with a matching hat pulled over his eyes. He leaned against the house’s stonehenge and stared at the ground. I stood under the streetlamp with it’s glowing essence surrounding me. I could feel the warmth from the light. I pulled out my white cell phone with a little totoro key chain dangling from the edge and proceeded to text Gabriel for the one hundreth time. He was late. I shivered more and looked to my left again. The strange man was gone. Just like that, he disappeared. I shrugged it off and texted Gabriel again.

         “Ailee! I’m right here stop texting me already!” He shouted to me. I smiled and dashed to him. He gave me a warm embrace and I didn’t want to let go. He wrapped his arm around me and we walked to our destination. “So have you been waiting long?” He smirked. I huffed and turned my face from his view. He chuckled and squeezed my shoulders. I waited a few moments and told Gabriel about that weird man who just stood there and then disappeared. He didn’t seem unnerved. Maybe because he wasn’t there and actually near the guy. “Well at least we’ll be inside soon so don’t worry about it.” I nodded trying to forget. It was something about that man's presence that just wouldn’t leave my mind though.

         Gabriel opened the door and I dashed through straight to the thermostat. I turned it up really high and sighed in relief as the vent shot out hot air. Gabriel walked over to me and pulled my coat off. He laid it over the couch and grabbed my hand. He kissed my forehead and went into my kitchen smiling. He pulled out two mugs and filled them with hot cocoa. Not exactly an april kind of drink but it was great for the cold weather haunting about the streets as of late.

         I sat down at the table and checked my emails on my phone. Only a few notifications and messages. I answered them for a few minutes until Gabriel sat down one of the mugs in front of me and snatched my phone away. I pouted like a child and attempted to grab it back. “Are you texting another guy? Hmmm what’s this I see? Who’s Connor?” He grinned. I reached to grab my phone but he only held it higher waving it in the air teasing me. I gave up and started to walk away still pouting until Gabriel grabbed my hand and twisted me around to face him. His cold slender hands touched my cheeks and I blushed hard and looked away in embarrassment. He licked my lips teasing them. I instinctively grabbed onto his arms.

         He bit my lip and I smiled. I loved this idiot. He was the only one for me. He wrapped his arms around my waist and I pushed away. “It’s not happening bro.” I grinned. He groaned and sat down at the table in defeat. I played with his hair as I kissed him. I sat in his lap as he played on my phone. I cuddled up to his chest and fell asleep.

         I fell into the abyss. Everything from a creepy nightmare was placed randomly in my vision. Toys, little cakes and cookies, game boards and chess pieces, dolls and puppets, even horrifying yet oddly beautiful creatures like some sickly gooey shadow roamed around not paying me any attention just like everything in a child's wonderland but in nothing except pitch black endlessness. I saw a toy horse the size of a real one and decided to touch it. As I was about to stoke it’s silky white main it jumped back and ran off towards a man sized figure. It jumped on the horse and rode away into the darkness. I saw vines covered in purple, black, and white roses with thorns stretching around all of the toys and figures slithering around them as if trying to get comfortable.

         A throne chair with a jester looking scepter shined out to me. My heart told me to walk towards it but my brain told me to run away. Unfortunately I always let my heart win. I reached the chair and stroked the black velvet covering the arm. My body pulsed and I jumped back. I thought it strange for a moment but decided to touch it again. My body pulsed again. My head began to hurt and my eyes began to water. I was crying not because of the head ache but because of sadness but why sadness of all things? I reached for the scepter and was about to sit down when I heard a voice pulling me out of the dream. My eyes shot open and my sight went fuzzy. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. Gabriel was on the edge of my bed staring back at me blankly.