third period :: coming around

It has been a week since the encounter.

To be completely honest, of all things that were going to happen to me that day, who would have thought that seeing my technical-ex-boyfriend again would be one of them? Not me.

I can't even dwell on it too much, or else I start to cry. And my mind tends to wander when I'm not paying attention, so it's especially hard to keep composure during class and whatnot.

And yet again, I'm tearing up while trying to write a paper.

On the word document, the words "by chance" haven't even been typed fully, and I have to shut the lid and bury my face in my hands. "Maybe I'm taking this way too hard," I whisper to myself. "I can't be mad. It's his choice."

I know I'm right, but I don't want to admit it.

Opening my computer back up again, I save the word document, watch my stupid computer struggle to process the simple request, and then I shove it off to the side so I can flop onto my little bed with no worries. (Well, one big one, as you know.)

The only light in my room is coming from my desk light, painting the walls a soft orange color. The ceiling has a bunch of little water spots - probably from the floor above, and I play connect the dots with the stains until I find myself making the same star with the same five points.

D'you remember how Josuke had a little star on his neck?

"Oh my god, I KNOW! And I used to trace the points when we hugged, And I-- UGH!" My hands find their way back onto my face, dragging slowly down my features in agony. "I miss him so much."

Suddenly, there was a knock at my door.

My mom used to tell me to never open the door if you aren't expecting anybody, and usually, any of the staff - or the police, for that matter, would yell out their title when they knocked. My roommate still has her key. So I lay on the bed, in silence, hoping that they would go away eventually.

They knock again.

I start to get paranoid.

"I know you're in there, y/n. Please open?"

My heart drops to my stomach as if I was falling, and I can feel a weight push me onto the bed as the little breath I had coming up my throat suddenly latches itself to the wall of my throat.

"Y/n."

This is the sign, isn't it?

Heaving myself off of the bed, I carefully walk over to the door, and cautiously place my hand on the handle, leaning my forehead against the wood. Judging by the little thump I feel on the other side, I'm guessing he does, too.

I open the door.

He's wearing the same brown bomber jacket from the night I saw him at the Burger King, except he's placed his peace sign and heart buttons on either side. His jeans look just about as thrown-on as they can be, and his shoes - red converse, of course - are untied.

I shoot him a worried glance. "Josuke, what in the world are you doing here."

He runs a hand through his hair, only for the strands to move right back to where they were. "Going to school."

My eyes widen. "You're one of the exchange students?"

"Yeah." He leans against the doorway the same way he did to me in high school, in a way to tease my height compared to his. "Joestar money, mom thought it would be a good opportunity. Oh-- you're gonna ask how I know you where you live."