fourth period :: it's a date (part 1)

My cell phone rings late one night.

A few simple words: "Are you still up?"

Like a fool, I put on my jacket.

"What's this all about?"  I ask, shoving my hands into my pockets, and Josuke turns around and flashes me a smile. "I figured you wanted to catch up."

He's right. I do.

I turn to the left and start walking, and he goes to the right. We both turn around to face each other in confusion, before asking at the same time, "Where are you going?"  followed up by a "My car."

Josuke shakes his head. "We're taking mine."

"...Fair enough."

And we walk for a little while to the second floor, before he grabs my hand and tells me I'm not walking fast enough. I've forgotten how much bigger it is than mine because the tips of his fingers touch on the back of my palm. Of course, I never forget to squeeze back.

We stop in front of a Nissan that looks like it was bought earlier this week, and he fishes the keys out of his pocket and makes the car chirp as it's unlocked. As I'm walking to the passenger seat, I turn my head and raise an eyebrow - "That Joestar money, huh?"

He opens the door on his side and returns the look with a smile. "It's a rental."

The car ride is comfortable - we don't talk much, but the Prince album I bought him a while ago is plugged into the CD player. The sound of the guitar on Darling Nikki fills the inside of the car so we don't have to.

"This song always reminded me of you." Josuke looks at me for a second before staring ahead again.

"Really?" I lean back into the seat. "I thought it was about a one-night stand."

Josuke laughs and the sound of it is even better than the music. "Yeah, but no. The sound of it just reminded me of you, that's all."

Suddenly, I sit up straight. "Probably because we listened to it together a lot."

"You still remember that?"

"Of course I do," I comment. "Your mom would be out of the house, and we'd put it on the sound system you had. Then we'd lay down on the living room floor and talk about whatever." My smile reflects back at me as I stare into the right mirror."I loved doing that."

"I did too," he replies. "It was one of the things I missed the most after you left." Josuke swerves a little bit and then mutters something quickly about the wheel being on the right side of the car. "Sometimes, when I felt sad, I'd listen to it and pretend you were there with me."

I look at him, sadly flattered. "Josuke, did you really?"

He nods. "We're here."

I look up, and it seems as if we've parked in front of a Denny's. And even though I'd never been a fan of breakfast for dinner - it throws off my inner clock a little, It's something I'll do for him.

We step inside and it already seems as if we're the only ones there. A few staff who were lounging around roll their eyes at us as we sit down at the booth furthest from the front, trying to escape just a little bit of the constant attention we're about to get.

I grab a menu while Josuke picks at a straw wrapper that was left behind on the table. "So, what is this place?"

Putting the menu down slowly for dramatic effect, his nonchalant gaze meets my wide-eyed expression. "You're telling me you've never even heard of a Denny's before?"