Chapter Twenty-Five: Ariadne

Ariadne POV

I reached the bottom of the stairs, and Grace and Allison handed me over to Prince Wilson's extended arm, which I took.

"How is the fairest of them all?" he asked as we walked down the Hall of Fame, where pictures of all the Kings and Queens of the 12th realm hung.

"I am doing quite well," I answered. "And how are you faring this beautiful evening?"

"I am doing wonderful! You are correct, it is a beautiful evening, and I am spending it with a beautiful woman." He gently placed a kiss on my hand before returning it to the spot in the crook of his arm. "You really do look absolutely stunning."
I blushed as we started walking towards the door.

"I was thinking that we go tour the wonderful means of entertainment within your kingdom. I have already been to a few, and they were absolutely marvelous."

"Oh?" I said. "I have not been to anything outside the palace for quite some time. Aside from the occasional ball. My father and the guards do not enjoy taking 12 females around the town. It is also difficult to only take a few of us because the others complain when they miss out on the fun."

He smiled. "Your face lights up when you talk about your family. Did you know? It makes you even more beautiful, which I would not have thought possible until this very moment."

Blushing again, I quickened our pace to his carriage. "You really do know the craft of flattery."

He chuckled. "My mother taught me how to treat a woman, and although I may not have appeared to have listened to everything she said, I am glad I did because it has come in handy as of late."

He held out his hand for me to take so I could easily step into his carriage. It was larger than most I had been in, and the seats were also infinitely more comfortable.

Prince Wilson climbed in after me and we began talking about growing up as a royal. I was glad that my sisters and I were not the only ones to have misbehaved in various ways to get out of lessons.

"You know, you are the first person I have found who I can relate with," the Prince said looking straight into my eyes.

"I feel the same way about you," I said softly.

I thought I saw a hint of a blush on his cheeks, but it could have been the sunlight.

"If you don't mind, I have a gift for you. I wasn't sure if I was going to give it to you tonight or later, but I really feel as if I must now."

My heartbeat quickened. Was he going to propose? I hoped not. I was enjoying our time together, but I was not ready for that step yet.

He reached his hand into his pocket and pulled out a small box and a small whimper escaped my lips, but he did not seem to notice.

"I hope you like it, it has been in my family for as long as we know."

He opened the small box and pulled out an enchanting necklace with a brilliant red jewel as the main attraction. I sighed in relief and also at its beauty.

"Would you?" He motioned for me to turn and I did, right as the carriage hit a bump, but luckily he steadied me quickly.

The coolness of the metal surprised me when it first touched my neck, and when I heard the clasp fastened I reached up and touched it, but pricked my finger on a piece of metal that was sticking out.

"Careful, it is old so sometimes small pieces poke out," he said and fiddled with it for a second.
"Thank you, I said and looked at the small drop of blood on my finger.