Chapter 02︱Mansions, Purple Eyes & Assistants

Chapter 02︱Mansions, Black Eyes & Assistants

"This is a new year. A new beginning. And things will change."  Taylor Swift

I awoke to sudden shaking. Someone was gripping my shoulders with their hands and moving my body back and forth, which instantly jolted me awake from my peaceful slumber. My eyes flying open and my arms flailing, I gasped when I hit something that was defiantly not the back of my chair. Groaning at how much it hurt my arm, I pulled my arm back and pressed it on my chest. 

"Fuck! Callie, you hit me in the eye!" Brian snapped, obviously frustrated. His blonde eyebrows were knitted together, and the scowl on his face was an unwelcoming sight to me, since I had just woken up from a good dream. I had dreamed that Brian had come back to Minnesota and I had been showing him around town for fun, since our town didn't have any new developments. He and I were even at the grocery store, buying junk food for a sleepover, where we would build a fort to sleep in.

"What?" I asked, wincing as I heard my voice— it sounded scratchy and groggy. I had never been a morning person, anyway. I mean, what type of insane person likes the morning? As soon as you wake up, you look like a monster, your voice sounds as if it humped a cheese grater, and your body is just so lazy and tired and refuses to get our of your warm bad, because honestly, you know you don't want to. Without a large, strong cup of Starbucks coffee in the morning, I couldn't stay awake for an hour before falling back asleep, which is the reason I never made it to school on time and received multiple detentions for being late. 

Glancing around, I soon came to the conclusion it wasn't morning. Were we seriously still in the car? What time was it? Thoughts bounced around in my head before I focused on what was happening right in front of me. I leaned over the section thing separating the passenger seat and driver seat (which dug into my hip and hurt), and placed my fingers on Brian's eye. Shock at what I had done took me by surprise, causing me to sober up rather quickly, and all sleepiness to leave my body. 

"Oh my gosh! I. . .ah— I did that?" I whispered softly, flinching as I watched my brother uncover his eye, which was watering uncontrollably. It would probably turn a nasty purple color later today, or tomorrow morning. Either way, it was pretty bad. I mean, I understood why he was so angry. I mean, he was an actor. He had to look good for the camera — he can't just walk up on set with a purple eye and except to continue the movie or TV show without anybody noticing.

"No Callie, the fucking Easter Bunny did." Brian growled in response, shaking his head. "We're here." he muttered angrily, pulling over to the side of a road as he used the back of his hand to wipe the uncontrollable tears leaking from his eye. Glancing out the window, I saw we were parked in front of a gate with a pretty looking stone path.

"I'm sorry, Brian." I said softly, getting out of the car. I shrugged of my jacket and wiped my face as I replied, "I didn't mean to hit you. . . you just, you just surprised me. That's all."

Brian shook his head, cutting me off. "Callie, it's fine, it's my fault anyway, let's just stop talking about it, yeah?" he muttered, pushing his glasses in his hair once more as we approached the house gate.