Chapter 9: Rendezvous (Part 1)

(Altair's POV)

The bell has already rung. We pass our answer sheet and test questionnaire to the proctor.

I stood up, got my stuff and headed out to the hallway, looking for Arya.

Amidst the sea of students, flooding the halls, I saw her... running. Why is she running away?

I ran as fast as I could, squeezing through every space possible, trying to follow her. She lead me outside, into the park near the school.

Suspicious. Why would she go here?

I put down my stuff and hid behind this bush that gives me the view of the whole park and with it Arya, in the middle.

Why is she here?

I watched silently, curious about why she lead me here.

Hmm... there could only be one reason she's out here alone...

I knew it...

Matthew.

I saw him walk to Arya and began talking to her.

Sh*t, I should have hid somewhere nearer.

I stood there trying to figure out the words they mouthed, looking if Matthew wanted them to still be together.

It's been thirty minutes, my knees hurt, my eyes throb, and my heart is in pain.

I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Arya talking to him without even telling me.

I saw her face droop, looking like sadness came over her.

For the entire time, I am hiding behind this bush, I can only hear little to inaudible words or sentences.

I can see their faces, their actions and the awkwardness of the situation, how Arya badly wants to leave already and how Matthew keeps pleading, looking like he's stalling Arya from something.

Then he finally did it. He took Arya's hand and held it tight as he continued to throw his cries and pleas to her.

I-I can't take this anymore... it hurts...

Is this why she doesn't go home with me at dismissal?

Is this why she comes home late?

Has she been secretly meeting up with him?

Is this what Aristide couldn't tell me?

Is this what I would someday understand?

This hurts so bad, seeing my own girlfriend talking to someone without me even knowing.

That's it, I'm getting out of here.

Getting up, I realized my bag got tangled among the bushes that enveloped me.

Amazing. I'm stuck. Out of the moments, I could get stuck, it's this. Why life? WHY?

I managed to get my bag untangled but it made the big bush in front of me rustle, alerting Arya and Matthew.

I stood still, trying not to make them suspicious of my presence.

I slowly crawled out of the bush and hid behind the concrete half-wall surrounding the park, looking like a super spy wearing university uniform

I remained crouched, trudging along the wall, not letting my big old head get seen.

After making sure that I'm already far from their sights, I stood up.

Finally, I'm out of there.

Great, my heart is aching, my knees hurt, my eyes sore and now, my legs are all beaten and wobbly.

I remained silent, contemplating on what I saw earlier.

I understand Arya and all but I don't get it, why wouldn't she tell me?

Out of nowhere, my phone rang.

It was Aristide, the person who I thought would clarify everything for me. But I was wrong and now I'm in great pain.

I answered the call and waited for her to speak.

"Altair? where are you I've been looking for you everywhere."

"I took the other route home okay?"

"Have you seen Arya anywhere?"

"No," I lied, trying not to let a glimpse of sadness show.

"You seem a little quiet Al, anything wrong?"

"My head hurts from the exams."

"Psh, you? exams? Wow as if. That's new, hearing it from an honor student like you."

"Ari please."

"Okay, okay, sorry. Wait Mom's calling me."

"Pfft, let me guess, chores?"

"Bing! Bing! We have a winner!"

"Tsk, same old trick."

"BUT IT NEVER GETS OLD! Okay, I'll talk to you later"

I was to say goodbye but she hung up before I was able to.

The smile on my face slowly faded away as I put my phone back in my bag. The gentle soft breeze and the chirping of the birds is what I can only hear as I look down on my feet.

"Hey." an unknown voice called from behind. I turned around, only to be met by a sudden blow to my face, knocking me back.