Cassius

I was less than pleased to find her at the mercy of that scum drunkard. He was a lousy soldier and person. I had intended to find her at the stream or in the bakery but instead she was in that sleezy pub wearing less than a royal prostitute. I wanted to kill everybody in the pub but I'd already decided to take a break from blood. I'd settle instead by having his hand, and all the bastards who watched sent to the Territory. One look at the blood at her nose and lip and again a rage soared inside my chest. At last I felt an inkling of my father's insanity over boundaries and possessions. I removed her from the pub as soon as I handed out their punishment. She'd closed her eyes not even a second after I'd gathered her from the floor. The bastard would be lucky if I let him keep a hand at all. I brought her to my cabin, where the hostess changed her clothes. She slept so peacefully I refrained from moving her, content in falling asleep beside her.

Resa
It took me a while to recover my bearings on my second waking. I  realize once again that I was not in the shed, which meant I hadn't made it home last night and this morning hadn't been a dream. One look at the head of blonde curls next to me brought back last nights painful memory. I groaned in embarrassment. My father would never let me come home now. By now the whole town has heard of last nights events. I looked down at myself, falling into a deeper despair at my changed clothes. I looked back at Cassius only to find him no longer asleep but openly staring at me. God he was still glorious, even as he lay un-groomed and freshly awoken.

"Don't mind, I was only watching your mind spiral." He said

"Well how do you suggest I stop the spiral. After last night and this I might as well leave town now."

"I saved you last night ,and this," his eyes flicked to the space between us, "is just two people who slept beside each other unengaged." He over simplified the situation.

"Thank you, I'm really thankful. My only real downfall was my stupid temper. Another month and I'd have enough for my debt and to leave this blasted shit hole."

"Such foul language from those pretty lips." He mused rising from the bed.

I averted my eyes from his taut body. He shrugged his shirt over his head not bothering to wear it properly as he opened the room door just as the hostess was about to knock.

"Morning, I was only bringing up breakfast and another bag of ice for the knot she's got." The red headed, round faced women, Darla, smiled a blush in her cheeks. She handed Cassius the tray and he nodded in a silent thanks as she hurried away. So someone else was aware of my current state. I'd never wanted to disappear more than now.

"Is there a mark." I asked for confirmation and he looked up at me,nodded ,his eyes clueing me in on the sore spot on my face. After discovering a mirror, I tried not to gasp aloud as I beheld it. It was hideously red and purple.

"May I ask why ever you were in that shit hole." Cassius said eying me calmly.

"My father and stepmother found out I took something from the sale basket and I have to work to pay the debt." I huffed bored with the reality of it. The joke was on them however, because working meant complete freedom. I'd been intending to leave for years, but never kept enough allowance.

"Do you wish to return home?" He asked still refusing to lift his heavy gaze.

"Would it be horrible of me to say no."

"Desire is honest, and lying is a sin." He said letting the corner of his mouth lift the slightest tilt.

"I've been in this Godforsaken village my whole life. I read every damn book in the rutting library  twice by the age of ten. There's nothing here for me but fucking bread. I want to travel."

"What's stopping you?" His eyes looked heavily upon me from underneath those long lashes.

"My father would never allow it. I'm 17 for 4 more moons."

"But you want to leave?" He said his eyes flickering.

"More than anything."