Chapter 2

143 did not take kindly to being dragged out of her cell at dawn. But she obeyed as she was forced to shower and change into fresh clothes. As she was sat down and given some porridge-like gruel, it came to her attention that she was the only one who had been woken up, no one else. If 143 was worried by this, she certainly didn't show it.

There was little-to-no resistance as the escorting officers cuffed her hands behind her back and led her to an interrogation room. At least she knew from experience that this one did not posses any 'additional' interrogation equipment.

143 was pushed down into a chair on the other side of the table. One of the escorting officers, who happened to know her well, gave her a look.

"Do I need to tie your ankles?"

143 shook her head, sitting still and staring at the door on the opposite side of the room. She wondered what this was about. Another attempt to make her confess to something she wasn't guilty of, perhaps. 143 thought they'd long ago given up on that.

She was almost falling asleep by the time the door opened once more, and another officer entered. 143 didn't recognise her, she wasn't that tall, with rich brown hair which was neatly swept back under her hat, and piercing blue eyes. She was quite young, probably early thirties. She wore a dark green uniform, which set her apart from the others, she looked..

143 wasn't sure how to describe it. But there was something about her.

Lorenz, her escorting officer, seemed to stand up straighter and salute with the utmost respect, and 143 wondered if she was in the presence of someone rather important.

At her command, the table in front of 143 was moved, and she soon found herself face to face with this mysterious new officer.

"Hello 143. We haven't met yet, I'm going to be one of the commanding officers here. I have a few questions I want to ask, which language is best for you?" Her English was flawless, but you could hear the German accent.

"No puedo entenderle Señorita, lo siento." 143 put on her most believable innocent, confused face. It was often best to test the waters straight away with a new interrogator.

Without warning, Hauptmann Xylander brought back her hand, in its red leather glove, and smacked the blonde girl across the side of the face, with force.

143 seemed taken aback, shocked that this petite, pretty, gentle-looking woman was capable of delivering such unhesitating violence.

The green-clad officer stood silently for a moment, giving the girl time to recover. A part of her felt gratified by her stunned expression.

"..English is fine.."

A half-smile danced across Yaneka's lips. She pulled up a chair and seated herself so thats she was opposite 143.

"Do you speak French?" She asked in the language.

"Yes." French was her main language of communication at the facility. 143 didn't speak much German, and naturally the officers didn't speak a lot of English.

"Did you speak it before you arrived here?"

"Yes. I love French, I think it's a beautiful language." 143 looked as if she wanted to add to that, but didn't.

"It is." Hptmn Xylander watched the blonde intently, there seemed to be some sentiment attached to what she said. "It's one of my favourites." The officer added.

"But we can speak in English.. So that it's only between the two of us."

143 reserved judgement. The brunette officer had proved that she was not one to play games with, the fading sting that could still be felt on her cheek assured her of that. Yet now 143 complied, she seemed surprisingly mellow, for an interrogator.