Chapter 1

Alison awoke to something she was not expecting. She was sitting on the sandy ocean floor in front of a creature that somewhat looked like a person, but also a fish. They had legs and openings in there skin that looked a little bit like gills. The openings all around were encrusted with tiny scales and colored shades of green and blue and a color in the middle of the two. He, assuming he was a he, did not have a shirt. Only white shorts that were decorated with coral. His hair was cut short and his eyes were the brightest green she had ever seen. Thats when she realized, "Why am I breathing?!" She yelled to the man. She was underwater, bubbles were coming from her moving mouth. The man turned to face her. "Our pet scooped you out from the water." He told her in a mild voice, like that happened every day. Maybe it did. She thought to herself. She turned in a circle and bounced up in the light greenish-teal water. It was brighter than an underwater area usually was. There in front of her was a vast coral reef, the coral was various colors from the lightest of yellow to the dark blues of a pair of jeans. The animals that swam in it were, "there are dolphins in Lark Lake?!" She exclaimed to the man, who's skin she noticed was a very faded lime green.  "Lark Lake?" He asked, his face twisted to a confused expression. "We're in the ocean." He snorted. 

"And how do you know english?" She puzzled.

"From the few times we've gone to shore." He answered simply.

"Are you an alien?" She asked. He laughed at this. Of all the questions she could have asked, she had to blurt out that question. "No, in fact." He laughed.

"Then what are you?" She asked him, not that it got rid of the burning humiliation she felt.

"Yalocd." He told her.

"Yalo who what? Whatever. Why are we on the bottom of Lark Lake? And why can I breath?" Alison blurted. "Slow down, anyway, we're on the bottom of the ocean mind you, and you can breath because of this." He pointed to a large cube floating on podium. 

"And what about my family? Are they down here?" She added. 

"Your the first one pulled down here today." He answered. A fresh wave of panic washed over her. What if they thought she was dead?! She didn't want to imagine it, her family holding a funeral for her. "Can I ever go back?" Alison worried.

"We'll talk to the Fultyr first." He told her.

"This doesn't happen often." He said.

"And why wouldn't I be able to be up again?" She faltered.

"Because the human race cannot know about our species." He answered her.

"I won't tell a soul." She promised.

"We can't trust a person we just met." He barked, a hint of annoyance in his voice now.

"And whats a Fultyr?" She questioned.

"A leader." He answered, a more prominent sense of annoyance in his voice. This was obviously getting old for him. 

"Take me to him now." She demanded. She swam a bit closer to him, her fists clenched.

"I'm going to need to give you some time to cool off." He told her in a more level headed voice.

"No, I need to go back to my family." Alison pressed, getting so close they were almost face to green tinted face. He backed up, putting some much needed space between him and herself. "And why are you here?" She added to her list of questions.

"On order." He told her grumpily.

"Why did someone place someone as sulky as you for meeting someone that may possibly be staying here forever?" She countered.

"Because you don't want to meet the only other guard available for this job right now." He sighed. "Now I'll take you to the Fultyr." He informed her. They swam passed the coral reef and came across small stone houses with these weird fish-humans with their own lives and jobs. The people acted a lot like humans, in a way. She watched through the sea glass windows as someone forced a mixture that looked suspiciously like carrot mixed with pickle, down a child's throat, and that child fussed and fussed about the gunky mixture, a lot like her younger sister and olives, though so good to Alison, so gross to her. The unusual creatures had lives of their own down here, and that made her feel, strange. Humans weren't the only species with enough smarts to make houses and foods, and they were doing it underwater. The man noticed her staring, and snapped at her to not be rude. As she swam around the underwater streets lined with lamps powered by something else that was't fire, something told her she would never be the same again. If she had to live with one of these odd creatures, and live with the memory of her old life, she'd go insane under the water, never breathing fresh air again. Her fingers were already getting prune-y from all the water, she couldn't imagine in a years time. She shuddered picturing it. The man walked her into a building constructed with a more blue than green teal. The fish-human creature, who she assumed was the Fultyr thing or whatever, was a fat old-looking man sitting on a glinting rock. The Fultyr and the man shared what she assumed was a conversation in there own language. "Ah yes, a young one two. What is your name, may I ask." The Fultyr conversed. "My name is Alison." She answered, sitting on one of the rock stools. "I'm here to find out how I can go home."