meet the new guy

Life is funny, you know? It'll throw a curveball and you won't even expect it. At times, curveballs hits you the hardest when you don't expect it. It'll change in a blink of an eye and you can't do anything about it.

Today started out as any other day.

Waking up to my 3 month old sister crying. I groggily got out of bed and walked a couple of feet away and stood at a crib. Picking up the loud red-faced baby with dark brown hair is how I spent every morning for the last three months.

I lay Bella's head on my chest as I rock her back and forth after I changed her diaper. I walk out of my room and down the hall to the kitchen. I grab a clean bottle out of the drying rack and quickly fix her a bottle of warm baby formula.

"Bella," I coo quietly, holding her head and lightly bouncing on the ball of my heels. "It's okay, baby. Sissy's here."

I know all of you may be wondering, where is your mom and dad?

Dad is a stationer overseas through the Marine Corps and my mom decided she couldn't raise another kid and left me, a newly turned adult at the ripe age of 18 with her newborn baby sister. So, now I'm the legal guardian of Isabella Reneé until my father comes back from deployment.

It took me a good half hour to finally get Bella to come down and to latch onto her bottle. I curl up onto the rocking recliner with my little sister and let outa huge yawn. I lean the back rest to the chair back with Bella now sleeping peacefully on my chest. I close my eyes and quickly fall asleep shortly after that.

****
"Come on, Bella," I coo, picking her up from my last teachers arms, after school the next day.

Today was the first day of school and I have already called the school and convinced them to let me keep Bella during the day, which in delight worked perfectly as the teachers wanted to hold her during class. 

Getting out of my car when I got home, I stopped suddenly when a giant strange looking star landed right in front of me. Inside the star thing was a smaller silver star, glowing brightly. Holding Bella tightly in a single arm, I reach my other arm towards the silver star inside and pulled it out.

I look down at the star and let out a gasps.

***

"Look at him fight," a girl giggles, the next day in my first class.

I glance down at Bella, who's asleep in her car seat then at everyone at the front of the class watching some fighting video. I roll my eyes and continue studying for the quiz that's about to start when the bell rings. I rock Bella's car seat with my foot that's dangling from my crossed legs.

"—that fight just happened. Brody didn't even tell us," I heard a voice say from in front of me. Preston, my childhood best friend and the guy who wants to be the world's greatest magician, has an irritated tone.

"Shh Preston," the new girl, Sarah, says. "Someone might hear. Talk about it later."

Hear what exactly? ...and who is Brody?

I roll my eyes as soon as I heard Victor and Monte talking their nonsense. I went back into my studying and blocked out all the sounds and talking around me. A few minutes has passed when the teacher finally walks herself into the classroom with haste.

"Alright everybody; quiet down! We have a lot to get through today."

She makes the new boy, Brody—the one guy the new girl and Preston was talking about, introduce himself to the class. I didn't pay much attention to what he was saying, too busy cramming last minute notes into my head as Bella drools all over her hand, cooing.