8. chicken attacks and potential sacks

The hazel eyed girl shrugged before taking her robe from the dirty blonde and throwing it on and turning to talk to Daphne aimlessly

All  the while Pansy stared down the Slytherin girl suspiciously, having  seen her reappear from behind a tree; oddly. That Gryffindor  muggleborn walking not too far from her. She kept it to herself as she  puzzled with the pieces, but made a mental note to put more effort into  investigating the curious situation.

Madison's eyes caught  Pansy's calculating ones and shot her a friendly smile. Hagrid's voice  boomed through the trees. "C'mon, now, get a move on!" he called.

"Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

Hagrid  strolled off around the edge of the trees, and five minutes later, they  found themselves outside a kind of paddock. There was nothing in there.          

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" he  called. "That's it — make sure yeh can see — now, firs' thing yeh'll  want ter do is open yer books —"         

"How?" said the cold, drawling voice of Draco Malfoy.         

"Eh?" said Hagrid.         

"How do we open our books?" Malfoy repeated. He took out his copy of The Monster Book of Monsters, which he had bound shut with a length of rope.  Other people took theirs out too; some, like Madison,  had belted their book shut; others had crammed them inside tight bags or  clamped them together with binder clips. 

"Hasn' — hasn' anyone bin able ter open their books?" said Hagrid, looking crestfallen.     

The class all shook their heads.         

"Yeh've got ter stroke 'em," said Hagrid, as though this was the most obvious thing in the world. "Look—"         

He took Hermione's copy and ripped off the Spellotape that bound it. The  book tried to bite, but Hagrid ran a giant forefinger down its spine,  and the book shivered, and then fell open and lay quiet in his hand.          

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Malfoy sneered. "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess!"         

"I — I thought they were funny," Hagrid said uncertainty, catching  Madison's eye who stood among the Slytherins. She shot him a reassuring  smile which made his eye twinkle with hope.         

"Oh, tremendously funny!" interrupted Malfoy. "Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"         

"Shut up, Malfoy," said Harry quietly. Madison was growing irritated as well,  she wouldn't mind if it were any other teacher, but she was fond rather  of the half giant.

"Righ' then," said Hagrid, who  seemed to have lost his thread, "so — so yeh've got yer books an'... an'...  now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Yeah. So I'll go an' get 'em. Hang  on..."