I The Magician: Shattered Mirror

I miss his auburn hair, the angle of his grin, and the dramatic eyebrows. I have to try hard not to forget what he looked like. Time passes strange here, it could be years before we notice it. And so, memories fade into a blur.

I dive deep into memories as my fingers stroke through his feathery head. I remember vividly the feeling of brushing through his curly hair. What was I doing then?

My head lean against his, we are the only support for each other in this withered world. I love him dearly, so much that it hurts sometime. Being so close to him, my eyes start getting watery. I wish he'd understand.

An impatient beak clicking noise wakes us both from the sweet daydream. "Julian...." I tear away from him. "we should catch up with Scout"

He releases me, but hands hook on the tip of my garment, unwilling to let go. "Why would you never give up on me?" Julian smiles sadly. How long has it been since he truly smiled? Malak stands on Julian's shoulder, stares at us with disgruntled eyes. He does not appreciate being ignored.

"Let's go, don't want to keep them waiting." I smile back weakly before pulling away from Julian. The split moment of joy only made me realize how broken he is now.

I miss his casual body contact, whether it's intentionally or otherwise. Now, he always purposely avoid touching me. He's afraid of hurting me, he thinks he doesn't deserve me. There's nothing I say or do can bring him back.

We walk along the path. It is not long until Scout's resentful glare appears beside a crumbled wall. "Sorry scout, we are done now." I smile at scout as they sigh, then turn to keep leading the way.

I don't know what else is there after finding our friends. Looking for them was just another excuse to keep me going. Without a goal, I'd lost my mind already. But what if we find them? What else can we do? I shake my head, and throw the questions away. It's better not to dig into that hole.

We walk a bit further until Scout finds a door on the second floor in a torn down house.

Scout opens the door, and we enter a dark corridor with overwhelming amount of mirror frames hanged on the wall. I summon a globe of light as we enter.

I see my reflections in the mirror. They are not moving with me, but eyes follow where I go eerie. I was shocked when I found Julian in the mirror. Hiding behind me is the red hair, very much human, and broken into many pieces.

"Julian...?" I get too close to the mirror. My reflection lash out of the frame, sharp nails slashing at my face.

With a loud thud, I fall onto the floor. Malak caws angrily above, Scout smashed the mirror with their staff, and Julian threw himself over to cover me.

"Are you ok? Are you hurt?!" Julian asks nervously, checking my body everywhere for wounds.

"I'm alright, but look! Did you see that?" I hastily point to another mirror, where I saw my own image and Julian's shattered human form.

"That...?" Julian turn to look at the mirror, brows pinch together in puzzle. "I see myself, an ugly demon" he cast a sarcastic smirks toward the mirror.

"No, Can't you see that?" I scramble to my feet, rush over the mirror, standing a bit farther this time

"No, Can't you see that?" I scramble to my feet, rush over the mirror, standing a bit farther this time. Julian frowns, and shakes his head.

He couldn't see it.

This is not the first time we've encounter realms where things appear differently to each of us. These realms reflects our fear and desire. Sometimes, it's to lure us in; most of the times, it's just there. I've stopped questioning why. It's just....normal phenomena.

"I've been here..." my sense has come back to me after the cold realization of how crazy the world has become. I look around the surrounding, and into the mirror at Julian's reflection. "Probably just another illusion..." now I remember those mirrors. I have walked through this corridor when I was looking for Julian. It feels like a lifetime ago.

Scout finds another door to the next realm shortly after the incident.

Inside, it's a small messy room with lots of random objects from clothings to what looks like a door frame

Inside, it's a small messy room with lots of random objects from clothings to what looks like a door frame. There are a few ragged fabrics draping from the ceiling, looks like it may be gorgeous back in its days. The curtains shield the only way out from our sight. Scout takes out their blanket, and gesture us to take a break. It is safe here.

Julian starts the fire while I focus my energy in practice magic, it is just a habit now.

I peer over at Julian with the power surge through me. The devil's chain wrapped tightly around Him that I can't see him under it at all.

I frown and turn away.

I sneeze loudly. Malak is surprised by the sudden noise, flapping his wings indignantly, then rest on my shoulder to nibble my cheek.

"Sorry Malak, I'll dry myself soon" I scratch Malak's neck softly as he lean back to enjoy the service.

"Even Malak is worried about you" Julian looks jealously at Malak as he says.

"Change off the wet clothes, I'll warm you up...if you want, of course..." he said the last few words uncertainly.

"Yes, thank you" I changed into my spares from the travel bag Asra used to carry with him everywhere, and hang the wet clothes near the fire. I go to sit in between Julian's legs as he gently covers me with his wings, and place his arms around my waist. I lean my back on his chest, relax a bit when I feel the warmth.

The fire flickers. I take a look at the new realm we arrived. "It feels familiar here" to my surprise, Julian speaks out what's in my mind. It is not uncommon for us to encounter familiar things. After all, this is Vesuvia.

"Do you recognize where we are?" Looking up at the ceiling, I can see some platforms and ropes hanging on top. There are sandbags and lamps underneath the platform near the drapes, all torn and shattered long ago.

"No, but it made me feel....sad, and warm." Julian frowns, holding me tighter unconsciously.

I didn't say more, but turn around and cuddle Julian. He puts a hand on the back of my neck, brushing my hair indulgingly. We haven't had a peaceful moment for quite a while, it is nice to finally get a rest. And then, I close my eyes, falling into darkness.