To The Blasted Lands

Binan Village was bustling with activity.  Between the Youngol invasion and the Brewmoon Festival the people of this lakeside village had been extremely busy.  Now they were funneling supplies from the Valley of the Four Winds to the rest of Kun-lai.  Even the “Esteemed” Madam Goya had joined in the aid to decimated Vale and the refugees in Kun-Lai, though the people of Binan often found packages that they weren’t allowed to open stashed with the supplies for the poor and injured.  Even so, she had extended her hand in good faith and they were in no position to deny her.

            Shou followed Juyo as she walked through the streets of the village.  Busy pandaren ran to-and-fro through town, carrying boxes or shouting orders.  Cloud serpents soared overhead, sent by the Temple of the Jade Serpent to help maintain peace throughout the land.  The Youngol were in no shape to fight any longer, and neither were the Mantid.  Even so, the Jade Serpent understood the need for her soldiers in providing a sense of security to the beleagured people of Kun-Lai.  Shou smiled up at the cloud serpents and waved as they zoomed past, even as a group of children next to him did the same.

            “They are at the inn,” Juyo said.  “Master Sako has some preperations planned for us before we depart, and we can’t be late to meet him.”

            “What are our preparations?” Shou asked as he caught up with his companion.

            “I don’t know.  I’ve never served with him before.  He normally leads small forces beyond the wall on stealth missions.  Because of his many years of success at such missions, he was chosen to lead our group.”

            “That is good to know.  So, how long do you think it will take to track down Garrosh?”

            “Though we will keep a look out for clues, hunting Garrosh is not our primary goal.  Our objective is to build the beginnings of a base of operations for the Shado-Pan.  When enough of our people are with us, we will begin the hunt.”

            “I see.”

            Shou considered this news as he followed Juyo into the inn.  She walked up to the bar and bowed before a stout warrior dressed in black plate and white furs.  Shou followed suit and bowed as well, then rose to look at his new commander.  Where he had expected a sour, grim faced soldier he was greeted with the slightly drunk smile of a sharp-eyed master.

            “You’re late for our preparations and we had to start without you,” Master Sako said.  “But now that you’re here, you can begin your preparations for our dangerous journey.  Who is this young hunter behind you, Juyo?”

            “He is Shou, a trainee that Master Snowdrift sent with us.  He was going to sneak out of the monastery and through the dark portal on his own, but I convinced him to join us.  The celestial children have joined us, as well.”

            “We want to see the other side of the portal!” Yu-la said happily.  The others purred, grunted, and squawked their agreement.

            “Then you are all welcome.  Barkeep, get us some food for the celestial children.  They are our honored guests.”

            The barkeeper bowed and went to fetch their food from the stables.

            “Now, for the two of you.  In order to prepare for our journey, you must grab a seat, order a beer, and start drinking!  I refuse to cross that portal sober.”

            “Yes sir!” Shou said as he sat next the master and ordered his beer.

            “Sir, beer is well and good but shouldn’t we be making actual preparations?”

            “Tingbao and Dailan are preparing the portal as we speak.  Konuu has already packed his healing supplies and the twins are packing supplies to make more beer.  Those four arrived early and had their drinks, so I sent them to pack things up.”

            “If I may ask master, why did you decide to lead this mission?” Shou asked in between greedy gulps of Stormstout ale.

            “I don’t like orcs.  After the atrocities they’ve committed, not many pandaren do.  This is a good chance to get to kill some, and I’m happy to take it.”

            “I don’t like orcs either.  Especially not Garrosh Hellscream.  I’ve vowed to see him pay for the Vale and everything else.”

            “Then you and I should get along fine, my boy,” Master Sako said, smiling.

            Shou made it through two mugs while listening to the master’s stories of the Siege of Orgrimmar before they were interrupted by a short mage dressed in full Shado-Pan war garb.  Her voice was soft and steady, but Shao noticed that her hands shook slightly even while they were resting at her sides.

            “Master Sako, the portal spell is ready to be cast,” she said, bowing before her commander.

            “Ah, Tingbao.  That is good to hear.  By the way, you already know Juyo.  This young trainee to my right is Shao.  He will be our secondary scout.”

            “It is a pleasure to meet you,” Shao said.  He stood up from his chair and bowed sheepishly to the mage before him.

            “It is a pleasure to meet you, as well,” Tingbao replied, nodding her head slightly.  “Huoli and Zhoulin are ready, and Konuu is playing tag with his sister's wolves.  The first months in Draenor are bound to be rough, but we are as prepared as we are going to get.”

            “Then all that is left is to fight,” the master replied, his voice taking on a strong, steady quality despite the fact that he was drunk.  “Let us go.”

            Juyo rose, all grace and silence as she fell into step with the others.  For a moment, Shao was in awe at the sudden change from passive drinking to determined action.  He blushed slightly as he realized they were leaving without him and he quickly ran to catch up.  Minutes later they had stepped foot through Tingbao’s portal and into the hell of a furious battle.