September 15,1857

Hello, my name is Raven and I'm a former slave. I am 27 years old now and the younger sibling of Mingo. This is my first time writing in a journal like this. I just started learning how to write a year ago. So I apologize beforehand if this is hard to read. This is also my first time writing or even mentioning my older brother Mingo since he was killed for protecting me on our journey to the north. It is a very difficult topic for me and I have a vivid memory of the past so I'll do my best to give as much detail of our adventure.

My brother and I lived in South Carolina for a good 8 years. Beforehand I'm not sure where we lived. I think only my brother knew where we were. During that time of us being slaves, I was 17 and my brother was 20. When we were with our first master, it was around 1847 and I was always afraid that when Mingo got out of our little makeshift bed, he would never come back to me. I was scared that Master wouldn't appreciate how hard my brother was working and that Master would whip him. Or even to just torture Mingo for fun. I've seen how bad the punishments were if you slack off or do something wrong. I just don't want that for my brother. He's all I have and the only person I was comfortable with at the time.

Ever since we were separated from mother, it was hard for both of us. We even had to witness mother get forced on when we were younger. It's still fresh in my mind. Even though I didn't see any of it cause my brother shielded my eyes, I could still hear the sounds that our first master made mixed with mother's cries and efforts to make him stop. "Damn Bitch, this is all you're good for! This is the only thing that will make you a worthy slave. You Negro women are only useful for this and nothing more. You were only created to work and give your owners pleasure and to reproduce. Now be a good negro and let me take you!¨

I'm sorry, I can't go any longer this a bit too much for me. I'll continue tomorrow. I need to take care of the children.

Please don't be a silent reader... I want to know what you think about it.