Chapter 2 - New Talent

He awakes to silence and realizes he's back in the dorm in Uiwang.

He shares it with C-Woo, but he looks over to find the bed empty, cushions neatly positioned, and the sheets tucked under the mattress.

"I can hear them starting!" Min-Ki's high voice echoes through the dorms. Chang hears a sudden thundering as all the members rush to where Min-Ki is. He remembers and jumps out of bed, pulling the t shirt closest to him over his head. He sprints out the room and immediately gets shushed by the other members, their ears to the wall. It's audition day! He joins them immediately, eager to hear the possible new recruits.

By the time the auditions are over, the members' faces have changed from excited grins to being glum and disappointed.

"I mean, they're very brave to come and audition here. I'll give them that," K-Won tries to be positive, standing back up.

"Yeah but the company is looking for talent. New talent. And these boys sounded like every other amateur singer," Mangjol huffs. They begin to all get up and go back to their dorms. "Anyway, I have the rap section of 18 Year to record."

Chang still has his ear pressed against the wall, not believing that there was nothing. Suddenly, the door to the audition room creaks open.

"I'm so sorry! Am I very late?" Says a girls voice, muffled by the division of the wall.

"Guys wait!" Chang whisper-shouts. "There's someone else!"

"I told you, I have recording to do."

"We'll just wait til next year," Min-Ki gives Chang a small smile and opens the recording door for Mangjol, before following him inside.

A piano begins to play, and the two soon come out the recording room and join Chang at the wall, with the rest of the members. The voice is unlike anything any of them had heard before.

"It has the projection level of the top idols...but it's so soft..." C-Woo whispers in awe.

Chang stays quiet.

"She must have transferred from another company, that can't be a newbie. We're looking for new undiscovered people, you know?"

"Mangjol, be positive for once. Whoever it is could be the next big thing! I mean listen to it..." K-Won and Min-Ki stay close to the wall.

The moment the song finishes, the boys rush to get properly dressed. Chang stands in the shower for longer than he should, letting the sound of the voice he heard wash over him.

"Hey who used all the hot water?!" A voice cries from the room next door, making Chang snap out of his trance.

"Sorry Yangwoo!" He turns off the shower and throws on his clothes, before running outside with the other boys and entering the audition building. "Where are the new recruits?" He asks a staff member, panting.

"Two doors down, on your left." The boys sprint off again and throw open the door. Twenty young recruits all turn around and stare. Chang desperately scans the faces. No girls. He turns around and looks at the other members, who share his look of bewilderment.

"H-hello there... Well done for passing... welcome to SG Entertainment... I hope you'll...you'll have fun here and...achieve your dreams." He smiles politely then quickly walks out the room, the members close behind.

"Why isn't she there?"

"I don't know. Maybe they put her somewhere else?"

"Why wouldn't she be with the rest of them?"

"Separated into gender?"

"They still do that?"

"Yes because girls and boy have different strengths."

"Guys you're going off topic here."

"Well that's stupid."

"Guys!" C-Woo yells at K-Won and Min-Ki.

They both stop and blink at their hyung. "We need to find her, or this company is going to fall apart. When we have to go to the military, there might be those boys there to take over but the girl... we heard something really special. We need that."

Chang stares with his mouth open. C-Woo is usually rather quiet so that outburst was pretty new.

"I'll ask at the desk..." Min-Ki runs off, and returns about a minute later.

"Anything?" Min-Ki shakes his head.

"Shit..." Manjol sighs.

"Since when did you care about anyone but yourself, ChiChi?" K-Won begins to wind him up, using the nickname he disapproves of.

"Not the time, K." The oldest groans as Mangjol glares at him. But, instead of retaliating, he just walks out the company building.

"Wait...!" The rest of the members stare at K-Won. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt him but it's true..."