2

Raf, the youngest of three humans that ended up discovering them that day, was assigned as Bumblebee's charge. (Y/n) tried not to be bugged by it and recited many, many reasons why she didn't want it, but she knew Bumblebee would use it against her.

Speaking of her new partner, he was getting to know Raf when she entered the main room. He glanced up at her, a smug look appearing on his face plate.

"Don't you dare," she mouthed. Bumblebee tilted his helm to the side. (Y/n) froze as Raf beckoned her. Bumblebee stared at her, daring her to do it.

Squaring her shoulders, she marched over, ignoring Bumblebee's look. "So, you're (Y/n), Bee's partner?" Raf asked. Primus, he was so innocent and had no idea of the rivalry the pair shared.

"Yes," she said, casting another glance at Bumblebee. He was looking at Raf, but she didn't miss the tenseness of his wings.

"That's cool!" Raf said.

"Real cool." Bumblebee suddenly stood up.

"I'll take you for a drive," he beeped. She tilted her helm. He looked mockingly at her. "You missed a lot."

She curled her servos into fists. "I'll catch you up on what I did," she said through her denta. "After your little field trip." She spun on her heel, stalking off.

Later that night, after the kids had gone home, (Y/n) chased Bumblebee down the hallway with a rod she'd found who knows where. She cornered him and repeatedly banged it on his helm.

"I. Don't. Care. About. Your. Stupid. Pride!" she shouted. Bumblebee grabbed the rod and wrenched it out of her servo, whacking her sidelong in the helm with it. She grunted and stumbled back...into Arcee.

"Again?" she said irritably. "Is this about Raf?"

"No! No," (Y/n) said, waving her off. "Bumblebee is just an idiot." Another whack to the helm with the rod.

"Bee, calm down," Arcee snapped. He gripped the rod with both servos. "Drop it." His optics dilated and his optic ridges angled downwards. "Drop. It." He tossed the rod to the side. "Now, just because Bumblebee was assigned Raf doesn't mean Optimus trusts him more."

"That's what I thought," (Y/n) said sourly. "But he has to rub it in my face."

Arcee rolled her optics. "Why can't you just get along?" she groaned.

They both began accusing each other, and that escalated to cat fighting, so Arcee wedged herself between them before it got out of hand.

"Go to your quarters," she snapped. "Now."

"We're not kids!" Bumblebee beeped indignantly.

"Bulkhead!" The two scurried off before the wrecker could even show up.

The next day was Saturday. Official hate day for (Y/n) and Bumblebee. But apparently, the kids didn't have school and when they stalked out, hissing insults at each other, they instantly noticed the kids and righted their postures, plastering friendly looks on their faces.

"Conspiring," (Y/n) said. "To, uh, plan activities for you guys. Ratchet probably doesn't want you guys hanging around all day." Bumblebee nodded quickly. She inched away from him. "So, Raf, you and Bee have fun together! I'm...I'm going on patrol."

"I do not think you will," Optimus said sternly. She froze. "You will stay with Bumblebee and get accommodated with Rafael."

"Of course," she said, though she stayed where she was. Both Optimus and Ratchet fixed her with hard looks and she bit back an angry reply as she replaced herself by her partner. Raf didn't need to know of their rivalry.

Optimus took the patrol that (Y/n) had wanted and Ratchet disappeared down the hallway, leaving the rest with their charges. Bumblebee began beeping excitedly to Raf and (Y/n) did her best not to roll her optics. Arcee looked rather awkward, making her charge the same.

"How long have you and Bee known each other?" Raf asked after Bumblebee quieted down. She froze.

"A long, long time," she said. It was true. They'd known each other since they were young, but they hadn't had any interaction with each other until the war began and they both ended up in the training camps together. That's where the rivalry began. It hadn't been really bad until both moved up to scout at the same time and started working together. But not together. They simply found the other's company insufferable and everything one did served to either make the other look stupid and naive in the optics of Optimus Prime. He was too kind to mention it, however, and moved patiently with them, keeping them from tearing each other's helms off.

"Wow!" Raf said.

"It's not that impressive," she said, shrugging. "Everybody knew everybody, especially when populations dropped and we all got cramped up into the same place with the same bots...." She could feel her want to strangle Bumblebee rise and she trailed off. "Sad story."

"Like a disfunctional family," Arcee said, eyeing them.

"Don't worry," (Y/n) said in Cybertronian. She glanced at Raf. She knew he could figure out the basic Cybertronian if he could understand Bumblebee, but for now... "I don't hate him enough to show that to him."

"That's good," Arcee replied in their native language. "Maybe your opinion will change then."

"Doubt it."

The day dragged on, but the humans were too innocent to hate. Even (Y/n) found herself laughing at Raf's antics and everything he could do on the computer was amazing.

"Alright, Energon signal!" Ratchet called as he walked down the hallway. "You know the drill!"

"Me! Please let me go," (Y/n) said.

"I was going to send you and Bumblebee," Ratchet said. "Spend some quality time with each other."

"But doesn't Bee need to stay behind and watch Raf?"

"He's got a whole squad of friends. I just thought you and Bumblebee needed some time alone together."

"You make it sound romantic," Bumblebee beeped crossly before righting his tone. "We're not there yet."

"There's a yet?" (Y/n) said, turning to face him.

"You never know," Ratchet said, powering on the Ground Bridge. "So go out there and see."