FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4TH

Ok. So. Paired with Ollie for the project. I walk into class a bit late —it was only a minute, really, and the course hadn't started yet. He's already seated, in the same spot we sat in the last class, the only difference being that his friends aren't sitting in front of us —they chose a seat far far away...okay then. I walk up to our table and sit down next to him...and we talk...and it's very casual...and surprisingly comfortable —unlike every other interaction we've had. We talk about past and upcoming exams, how he's super stressed out. We talk about phones; I explain to him why I don't need one because I can virtually obtain a network anywhere in the city on any type of non-cellular device. We talk about the most random shit ever, and he's just so quirky and funny. And at that moment, none of it really goes to my head, I just enjoy the company...that is, until class starts, and we both shut up, and I have nothing to do but contemplate his every move. Sometimes I feel like my mind is toying with me and punishing me with thoughts and speculation and hope, just to laugh at me when I fall flat on my face. Sometimes it seems like I'm in a different world, and nobody can see me, nobody can hear me; I'm all alone with a mind that's just waiting to see me fail. Sometimes I wonder why I torture myself by thinking up these impossible scenarios only to be let down because I'm so far from reality. Sometimes I'm so caught up in the dream.
"Can I borrow your charger?" He glances sideways at me.
I look at him for a split second, wondering what the hell he just said. "Oh," right, the charger, "sure, no problem." How the fuck does he know that I have a charger... —I mean, unless he's watching me...nope, not going there T.
As the class drags on, the teacher explains the concepts, instructions, and deadlines —phew, the project isn't due for another three weeks!
"So, the project isn't due for another three weeks," he states, turning his body towards me.
"Yeah, that's great!" I pause, trying to read him. "You want to skip the rest of the class." Statement not question.
"I'd rather focus on studying for our exam next Monday..." He fidgets with the pages of his notebook. "But, if you're going to stay to work on the project, then I'll stay too. It's not a big deal."
"Don't worry about it. You look kinda stressed, but I'm sure you'll do great. We can work on this project after midterms. Besides, I'm scheduled to play volleyball this afternoon, I wouldn't mind heading out a bit earlier."
"Sounds good. It'd be practical to exchange numbers so that we can plan the when-and-where to work on the project."
"Sure." He turns on his phone, opens up a new text message, and hands it over to me —but I don't really use my phone, only for emergencies.
"Would you prefer Facebook, Messenger?" He asks, seeing my struggle —was it that obvious...well, I was staring at his phone for a good 20s.
"Yeah, that'd be great." I hand the phone back to him, gratefully. He switches apps, hands the phone over again, and I enter my contact.
"There we go." I hand the phone back, he checks something and then puts the phone away.
"So volley. Is it mixed?" He asks, crossing his arms over his chest —hot.
"I'm not sure, I'll be trying it for the first time today."
"Well, let me know how it goes, I'd be down to try it." Sure, why not...
As the teacher wraps up the theoretical portion of the class and the students start the practical part, Ollie and I pack up our stuff and discreetly walk out of the classroom.
"Anyways, have fun with volleyball!"
"Thanks!" I ponder what else to add. "Enjoy...studying."
"Yeah." He sighs. "Plus, I'm working tonight."
"Ouch, what shift?"
"6 to 1." He rubs his face with one hand, clearly unimpressed. "It's going to be brutal."
"That sucks." Yep. "Well, good luck, I'll see you on Monday."
"Ciao ciao." Weird.