Chapter 6

Owen didn't even give me the chance to bid farewell to Noah before he demanded that I get in the car. He drove off before I could even raise my hand to wave and so I have decided that Owen is the rudest person I have ever met, "Where are we even going?" I ask with my hands crossed over my chest, slumped in my seat showing not the slightest hint of interest but feeling extremely sick of the awkward silence, "To hell," he replies dryly, reminding me of his strong distaste for shopping centres, "Why're we going if you don't want to?"

"Because I don't think you look like an Anstey," I remain silent, not wanting to bite back and make our journey even more awkward. Much to my surprise, Owen backtracks, "Okay, that was rude. I mean I want to get you new stuff so you look more presentable for my family and because you need it," He adapts his answer and I shrug because his elaboration is not much better, "I don't care, I'm used to you being rude to me," I reply to him, abruptly and he sighs, marking the beginning of a vexatious car journey. 

***

"Come on, stop being lazy! We've got so much to get through," Owen demands as I drag myself out of the car and through the big glass doors to the shopping centre. Complying, I follow him like a lost puppy, hunched over as if I carry the weight of the world on my bare shoulders, "I don't think I need to be changed, Owen," I hiss as he grabs my wrist and pulls me into Topshop.

"Yes, you do," He replies simply and picks up a leather mini skirt and throws it in the basket he passed to me on the way in, "I don't like that," I state and he looks at me moodily and shrugs. He then continues to pick up a white jumper and throws it into the basket along with some heeled boots and fishnet tights, "Owen, this isn't me!" I snap and he turns to look at me and sighs, taking the basket from me and placing a 'supportive' hand on my shoulder.

"Would I let you wear something I don't think you'd suit?" He asks, sincerely and I roll my eyes, shrugging off his hand, "Yes. Yes, you would," And, with that, we both crack up laughing as Owen holds up the fishnet tights and places them by my legs.

Within the laughter, Owen empties the contents of the basket and then stops seriously, "Fine, how about we both choose your clothes?" My eyes widen sarcastically, "Now that would be a novel idea, wouldn't it?" He rolls his eyes and takes me back to the front of the store, "I like to do my shopping in sections," I say and he nods, intrigued, "So let's start with my bottom half."

We start at the front of the shop and make our way around, picking up variations of jeans, skirts, leggings, jogging bottoms etcetera. When we find ourselves back where we started we do a little review of what we have: black jeans, white jeans, blue jeans, grey jeans, pencil skirts, pleated skirts, a leather skirt to accommodate Owen, mini skirts. We have three pairs of leggings and two pairs of jogging bottoms, what more could I possibly want? 

"Okay, so we're done with trousers, what now?" He asks me and I grab a new basket and hand it to him, now filling both of his hands, "Tops," I tell him, buzzing from the serotonin of spending money that I definitely don't have, and he nods. So, our round of the shop begins again.

We find ourselves back where we started and we do another mini-review: t-shirts of all colours, body-suits, shirts, Bardot tops, crop tops, oversized sweaters, jumpers, hoodies. You name it, we have it. "Shoes?" He suggests, creepily waggling his eyebrows up and down and I nod, handing him another basket for him to balance and smirking at his struggle. Maybe this isn't too bad, I smile evilly.

After around ten minutes we have finally picked out a few pairs of shoes and I turn to Owen and sigh, "Are we done?" I ask him and he nods, a small smile playing on his lips as we walk to the checkout.

"Hi, are you paying?" The lady at the desk asks and Owen nods, handing her the baskets as she scans through everything, "Wow, you're one lucky girlfriend," She winks at me and I smile gently at her as she continues to scan the clothes, "Only the best for my fiancee," Owen butts in with an arm around my shoulders, tugging me to his side. He took me by surprise when he actually admitted it in public, "Oh, you two are cute," She gushes as she finishes scanning, "That will be £419.86 please, sir."