chapter seven

the three had just arrived to their hotel in chicago. the weather was cold, way too cold. -6°C to be exact. little édelie was clung to her dads side once again, not really being used to such cold weather. the streets were busy, and millie looked at finn, giving him a reassuring look. he had his hood up, hoping to dear god that nobody would notice him. he didn't want to be rude to his fans, but he had to say no to all photographs.

as they walked into the lobby, suddenly sheltered from the cold, millie spoke to the woman behind the desk regarding their room. finn stood next to édelie, scared. a kind looking woman noticed the little girls scared face and approached the two with a box of lollipops. she gave édelie a kind smile.

"would you like a lollipop?" she asked.

édelie looked at her, confused. to her, the woman was just talking jibberish. she couldn't understand a word that the woman had said. the woman awaited on an answer, so finn had to be the translator.

"voulez-vous une sucette?" he asked her, (would you like a lollipop?)

édelie instantly perked up after that and took a strawberry flavored lollipop. finn thanked the woman, and then millie came over afterwards with the key to their room. without hesitation, they quickly walked upstairs where they were met with their hotel room. there were two bedrooms, however one of them was only small, with a single bed, fit for a child. the other had a king sized bed, fit for two adults.

there was also a bathroom, just a normal regular one, and a balcony which they were sure they would never use due to the weather. they all placed their suitcases down on the floor, and édelie instantly went to explore.

"so what is it that we do now?" finn asked, looking at édelie who sucked on her lollipop.

"we just enjoy ourselves until we have to move. hopper is fighting as hard as he can to get alice sent down so we can finally go back home. but he said it's better for us to be away." she explained, sitting on the bed.

finn sat next to her, looking at the floor. they were both abnormally quiet, it was weird to say that they had been in each other's lives again for a whole four days and they were already running away together. they didn't mind, though.

finn sighed, laying backwards. millie looked at him, putting her hand on his thigh.

"you're gonna be okay, i promise." she said before standing up.

"is not so simple, belle. if they know about alice, i will have to tell them what she did. i am famous. word gets around quick and the world will think i am weak." he said, looking down.

"i don't think you're weak, i think you're the strongest person in the world. what you go through is terrible, but you don't let it phase you. wanna know why? because you're strong!" she told him passionately, sitting back down.

"you are making it very, very hard for me to make myself think that i do not still love you, belle." the french man said, looking into the girls eyes.

"i never stopped." millie replied as her eyes started to get glossy, "never. i spent all my days thinking that you hated me for some reason. i missed you, all i wanted was to see you again. when i found out you were 'happy' with somebody else, my heart broke."

"happy? i have been anything but happy. i spend my days putting shit up my nose to make me feel something. is hard to stop." he admitted.

"i can imagine. have you thought about stopping?" she asked.

"honestly, no. i want to, i do. but i do not. is not easy, it needs a lot of work and is not that important." he answered.

millie went out to buy dinner which finn insisted was purchased on his credit card. she was in the elevator on the way back to the room, finn didn't want to leave the room with édelie due to the cold, and she kind of refused to go anyways. millie went alone, as an opportunity to think about the situation and what she actually got herself into.

she opened the hotel room door and placed the food on the table. édelie and finn weren't anywhere to be seen, so she walked into the children's room. the sight she saw truly melted her heart.

finn and édelie were laid together in the small children's bed as they both slept. finn was on his stomach with his head squished against the pillow, and èdelie rested her head on his arm. they looked so sweet. millie took the opportunity to snap a little photograph.

she felt bad waking them up, so she brought her mac and cheese into the other bedroom and sat in there, eating whilst scrolling down twitter. it had became very known world wide about finn's overdose, it was number one trending on twitter.

"finn." millie smiled, as he walked in rubbing his eyes. "i bought you and édelie mac and cheese."

she walked into the kitchen and got out the two pots of mac and cheese. édelie sat at the small table and ate hers. finn didn't touch his, he just put his head in his hands. it became very noticeable that he was sleeping when they both heard a snore come from finn.

édelie let out a loud laugh, "mon papa est idiote."
(my daddy is silly.)

"je suis d'accord." millie replied with a laugh, (i agree.)

after édelie had ate her dinner, millie decided to get her ready for bed as it was already ten pm. she put her in some little white pyjamas and tucked her into the bed. she looked at millie with a smile, hugging onto her small white teddy bear. millie looked at how much of a precious little person she was–it became very clear as to why finn adored her so much.

"bonsoir, édelie." millie said, smiling.

"bonsoir, millie." édelie replied.

she walked out of the room, and her gaze finally landed on finn. she shook him a little, trying to wake him. it didn't take long, he was up and awake. she admired how cute he was when he first woke up, a sight that she missed dearly.

he didn't speak much when he woke up, he just looked at her. his curls were a mess, and his sweatshirt was all creased.

"do you want to come to bed?" she asked, "édelie is already in there. i presumed you didn't want to sleep with me, so."

"do not be stupid." he said, walking into the room that millie was sleeping in and plopped on the bed.

millie smiled, joining him. she was wearing some fluffy pajamas, and he was wearing his sweatshirt with some sweatpants. he looked extra cute. they both got under the blankets, and he opened his arms to give her a hug. of course she accepted.

they both fell asleep in each other's arms, just like old times.

•••••

cuties