Part 11

"What were you and Mr Darcy whispering about just now?" Mrs Gardiner asked, as the party embarked on their next course and Lizzy turned to speak to her aunt.

"Nothing very important!" Lizzy said, with a merry smile.

Her aunt smiled back, smiling knowingly, as if she would allow husband and wife to keep their secrets and enquire no more.

"Is Georgiana quite well, do you think?" Lizzy asked, desperately looking for some topic of conversation that might distract her aunt and also move forward from her talk with her husband. She had not meant to confess to him her plans to match-make Georgiana with the erstwhile Mr Lambert, or with anybody at all, for she knew it was unlikely that Darcy would approve. He still thought of his sister as too young to be in need of a suitor. Lizzy's smile faltered. She knew he still blamed himself for how George Wickham had managed to worm his way into Georgiana's affections and comes so close to ruining her. Wickham was a nameless figure in life at Pemberley. Lizzy knew that Darcy would not choose to mention him again, not after what had happened between Wickham and Lydia, or his own noble attempt to rectify that situation. Neither one of them rejoiced in the marriage, but it was what it was and Lizzy had to hope that Lydia was happy, or at least satisfied with her lot. The topic of marriage, then, was scarcely ever mentioned since their own wedding was still so fresh in everybody's minds. And Darcy was fond of solitude, rather more than any young man had a right to be. Lizzy knew it would not often occur to him that others might not share his preferences, might seek companionship where he would flourish without it.

As if aware she was being discussed, Georgiana let out a merry laugh, leaning forward to involve herself still more in her conversation with the friend next to her. She even more pointedly turned her back on Mr Lambert who, to Lizzy's surprise, seemed to flinch as if he felt the slight as a physical blow. She frowned, wondering if this was a glimpse of the man Darcy had meant when he mentioned meeting the new curate.

"She seems quite content," Mrs Gardiner said, turning back to Lizzy with a questioning smile. "Although I am not sure the same could be said for poor Mr Lambert! I wonder if she is aware of how completely she is ignoring him."

"I dare say it is intentional," Lizzy murmured, her voice low enough that she did not expect her aunt to hear. Mrs Gardiner, mother of myriad children, however, had very sharp ears and her eyebrows lifted.

"I did not think Georgiana so callous as all that! The curate is a newcomer here and knows no-one. What can he have done to cause her such offence in the course of this evening?"

Lizzy briefly outlined their first meeting of the curate in town, and although Mrs Gardiner's lips pursed, her eyes remained impassive.

"You think I was too quick to take offence," Lizzy said, accusingly. She smiled, but there was more self-deprecation than amusement in the expression. "And I dare say you are right. My husband has already made a similar suggestion." She sighed, moving her meat around her plate before taking a dainty, delicate bite. It was delicious, as was all the food at Pemberley. "He was unreasonable, but perhaps I might have been a little more considerate. Or, I might learn to be more considerate now. I need not hold one interaction against him forever."

Mrs Gardiner's eyes danced merrily, as if she, too, was recalling the tirade Lizzy had given against Mr Darcy on a Christmas not a very long time previously, at Longbourn.

"I do not think I shall speak to anybody who professes to know me," Lizzy grumbled. "I am not sure I like being so well-understood!"

Mrs Gardiner swallowed her laughter and Lizzy turned towards the silent Mr Lambert, who, having nobody to talk to and no other occupation open to him, had quickly finished the contents of his plate and was now examining his cuff with care. Lizzy cleared her throat.

"Mr Lambert, I imagine you are very busy with your preparations for Christmas at the church," she said, her voice clear and carrying across the bustling dining table.

The young man jumped as if surprised to hear his name on the lips of a young lady, and those belonging to his hostess. He blinked rapidly as if struggling to construct a satisfactory answer. It is not a difficult question, Lizzy thought, wondering why it required such deep thought.

"I have been quite busy, Mrs Darcy, yes," Mr Lambert said, the ghost of a smile flickering across his face repeatedly but never quite landing. He would be quite handsome if he smiled more, and more genuinely. If he did not have such a propensity for frowning...

"It is a wonderful time of the year, though, do you not think?" She smiled. "I dare say you would be in the wrong profession if you did not think so!"

Mr Lambert smiled, but the expression was a little pained. Still, Lizzy would not be so easily deterred from her task, now that she had risen to it.

"Georgiana and I were discussing the possibility of putting together a concert for some of the children of the estate. I imagine you would be only too pleased to be involved, for it will be a wonderful way for you to know the families that make up your parish." She turned to Mrs Gardiner. "Your children will take part as well, I hope? I thought I might be a good way to occupy them while they are here and also enable them to make friends with some of the local children."

"A fine idea!" Mr Gardiner declared, toasting it enthusiastically before lifting his glass to be refilled.

"A...concert?" Mr Lambert frowned as if he had never heard the word before.

"A concert." Lizzy beamed. "It was Georgiana's idea, and a very good one I think!"

He turned to look at Georgiana, who had at last deigned to look at him, an almost combative smile on her usually sanguine face.

"It is a charming idea," he said, in a bitter monotone that suggested he felt nothing of the sort.