Part Two: Devon and Austen

December 10th

Devon was in love with an adorably dorky boy named Austen and this was a problem.

Austen was his coach's son, the one who hated sports and always had his head in a classic novel and only came to practice and games because his dad was trying to 'man the gay' out of him. The one who never seemed to get angry, who always calmly responded whenever his stupid dad yelled at him in front of everyone. The one with the blue eyes deeper then the sea.

So yeah, Devon had a problem.

The thing was, Devon decided that he should deal with this problem by trying not to think about it.

You can probably guess how well that worked out.

So Devon decided that he was going to try to do something different.

He was going to try talking to this problem.

This adorable, quirky little problem with his light brown curls and body that Devon just wanted to hug and hug.

"Hey Austen," Devon did the little straight dude head nod thing as he was walking in. Austen was sitting up in his normal little spot in the bleachers, being a cutie.

"Hi?" Austen seemed confused and Devon blushed.

"Uh, sorry," Devon looked down and kept walking to the lockers.

After practice, Coach Aarons was lecturing everyone in the locker rooms, Devon managed to slip out. Austen was sitting in the bleachers as always, same adorable little nose stuck in a dusty old book.

Devon walked up and sat down next to him. "Hey,"

Austen shut his eyes, and then his book. He turned to face Devon head on. "If you're going to make fun of me or beat me up, get it over with so I can go back to reading."

"W-what?"

"Do it already, I just want to get it over with."

"I'm not going to hurt you??"

"Oh," Austen blushed a little. "Sorry,"

You shouldn't be sorry?? What?? "It's okay,"

"So if you're not going to hit me, what do you want? English class help? Because if so I'm not cheap,"

Devon internally screamed. "Um, no, I just wanted to talk to you,"

"About?"

"Jesus, you ask a lot of questions. I just wanted to be your friend,"

"Oh, um okay."

It was silent for two awkward minutes.

"You're Devon right?"

"Um, yeah? I thought you knew that." Devon realized that he sounded like a dick.

"Not really, I try not to pay any attention to whatever my dad drags me along to, I don't care and it pisses him off."

Devon laughed. "Okay then,"

"Have you ever read A Separate Peace by John Knowles?"

"Oh, um, no,"

"It was assigned reading last year, so I can see how well you do in school," Did he just roast him? "Anyway, the school that they go to is called Devon, and I just wondered if there was any connection,"
"Oh, I don't know, I should ask my mom,"

"My mom named me after Jane Austen," He says kind of wistfully.

"Is she a singer or something?"