Basil - 7:00 AM

September 7:00AM – Basil

I only had 7 post cards left until the last of Holly was gone. And it was the day I headed off to college. I had a suitcase, a rucksack, and my parents waiting for me by the door. I was going to visit on weekends, of course. Well, not every weekend.

Every weekend I had. If I got a taxi college was 20 minutes away, and if I got a bus it was a half hour. Not that far, I know. But in Clovelly, you may as well be on Mars. My Mum made me promise to call her every weekend if I couldn’t come home.

She was teary eyed at the door, and my Dad took my suitcase to the taxi for me while my Mum pulled me down for a long and uncomfortable hug. “You be good, Bas.” She said in a choked voice. “I will Mum, I’m not that far.” I assured while she wetted my brand new shirt I got for the start of school.

I pulled myself away from her and gave her a reassuring grin before letting me walk to the taxi, where I gave my Dad a normal, no longer than 5 second hug. “Call us when you get there, so we know you’re alright.” I nodded and got in the taxi, pushing my rucksack to the other seat, and watching my parents through the window.

My Mum cried and waved and my Dad had his arm around her and was waving too. I waved back, suddenly not wanting to leave. The taxi driver pushed off, and I swivelled to watch the figures of my parents disappear, and my house get smaller and smaller.

I gulped and fastened myself to the seat.

The good thing about College in Clovelly was that I already basically knew everyone there. I got to pick my roommate it was so small of a population. I picked Jasper, if that wasn’t obvious. I got to our room and slung my bag on my bed as Jasper failed to greet me because he was too busy complaining already.

I decided to take myself on a tour, and saw Lucy in the hallway. We stood motionless for a minute, not knowing how to talk to the other. “Hi, Lu-”

“So what was her excuse?” She asked, then looked around, “Is she gone?”

I frowned at her. “Lucy, I don’t want to talk to you about this.” I said, and she looked incredibly perplexed at the statement. “Well, you brought me into it, so…” She put her hands on her hips.

What a beautiful girl. That was the first thing I thought. I also thought she’d be so much more beautiful if she wasn’t clouded with an ego and fused with a false sense of entitlement. “Well, now I’m brining you out of it. Sorry if I hurt you or your friends in the past, okay? But it’s over now, and I don’t care what you used to call me, so maybe we should both move on.” I suggested. She rolled her eyes and walked away.