1

**This chapter contains sexual content**

Day One

"Come here, lovely! Mummy has a new story for you!"

"Coming!"

My bouncing, bubbly, and stubborn little girl, Arella, comes rushing down the stairs and into the lounge.

"What've you got?" The little, blond, five-year-old forces herself onto my lap.

"A new book. It's called Elf On A Shelf."

"Freddie told me about this book!"

"That's because Uncle Louis got the same one for him."

I open to the first page and Ari leans against my chest as I begin to read. She's always loved being read to, even as an infant. The moment I started the words 'once upon a time' she'd hush up and stare at me with her big blue eyes. Reading to her is one of our favorite pastimes now.

I read the story, each line and rhyme, slow enough for Ari to follow along and understand. She asked a couple of questions here and there, but was overall too enthralled by the pictures to say anything. But then the book was finally finished and I set it beside us.

"What did you think?" I ask her.

"I like that story."

"That's good, because there's something else I need to show you," I stand up and carry Ari into the kitchen, where our own little Elf is waiting on the table.

"It's the elf! It's the elf!" She shouts and wriggles from my grasp. She rushes up to the table and stares at it in awe.

"What do you want to name it?" I ask and crouch down next to her.

She looks away in thought for a moment, then smiles. "Elfie."

I laugh a little. "Elfie it is. But remember what the book said, we can't touch Elfie or they'll lose their power. But, I think if we write a letter to Elfie they might be able to write you one back tonight after they visit Santa."

"I'm gonna write one right now!" She exclaims, then runs upstairs to her bedroom.

And right on cue, my phone begins to ring. 'Hubby' reads across the screen and I answer the phone with a large smile.

"Did you read it yet?" My husband, Harry, asks immediately.

"Just finished actually. She really like it and is writing a letter to Elfie as we speak."

"I told you she would."

"I never doubted you."

"I miss my girls. Can't wait to see you again."

"Thirteen days, my love. They'll pass in a flash."

"They always pass slowly when I'm away."

"I know."

"Can I speak to her? I miss her little voice."

I laugh lightly then pull the phone away from my ear, "Ari! Daddy's on the phone!"

An excited scream sounds from upstairs and once again, she comes running down the stairs.

"Daddy!" She yells into the phone once I hand it to her. "Mummy read me Elf On A Shelf!"

I can hear his voice on the line, but can't make out the words.

"Yeah I miss you. Mummy's marking down the days on the calendar, thirteen days she says."