Chapter 1: Ambition

11/12/2017
Brett and Eddy made a promise that in 2 years, they were going to learn one of the hardest piece of Paganini's variations— Nel cor piu non mi sento. They didn't understand the consequences of making a promise back then as they did not expect their channel to blow up or anything.

8/9/2019
But here we are, close to 2 million subscribers on this channel, lots of people reminded them the promise they pledged almost 2 years ago. They cared about their fans and of course, did not want to let them down. Mustered their courage and confidence, they, well, mainly Eddy, decided to learn this insanely hard piece in 2 months.

Every now and then, Eddy would lock himself in their studio room and practise this piece for hours, to a point where Brett felt the need of stepping in and stopping him from practising before he starved himself to death. Today was no exception.

One Friday morning, Eddy showed up in Brett's apartment unexpectedly. Brett sent a message to Eddy yesterday, reminding him that he did not have to come and record videos tomorrow.

Brett heard the door bell rang when he was sleeping. He rubbed his eyes as he walked to open the door. He was shocked by the fact that a tall silhouette man was standing in front of the door with violin case on his back. His morning eyesight couldn't register that as Eddy at first. Eventually he recognised Eddy with his distinctive sweet scent. He was confused but still let Eddy come in first before asking for answers.

"Sorry, did I forget to send you a message to tell you that we get a day off today?"

"Nonono, it's not your fault. I did receive your message but I just need a quiet place to practise my Paganini, someone is renovating their house and I can't hear myself if I practise in my room. I should have texted you first, sorry for waking you up this early." Eddy replied with a hint of remorse.

Brett tried to look at the clock hung on the wall next to the door but he couldn't really see without his glasses. "It's 9:30." Eddy answered for him as he noticed Brett was squinting his eyes to look at the clock. After knowing what time it was, he thought it's time to wake up.

"Nah, it's fine. I should wake up at this time anyway. Have you eaten breakfast yet? Wanna go grab some coffee from that coffee shop around the corner?" Brett asked, thinking Eddy was probably hungry as well.

"Nah, I'm good. I ate a PBJ before I come." Eddy said as he moved into the house towards the studio door. Brett was definitely surprised, Eddy normally woke up at around 10:30. It's only 9:30 and he had already arrived at his house, not to mention he had also finished his breakfast. Eddy also confirmed that he had indeed read his message yesterday. Brett felt something was off and stuff were happening.

"Bro, are you okay?"

Eddy was startled by the question because obviously he was not okay as the deadline was approaching.

"What do you mean?" Eddy responded with chuckles, hoping Brett didn't notice how tired he looked.

"You know, you...hmm...how do I put this...," Brett stuttered, "Well, you see, you seldom wake up this early just to come over and practise. Heck, you were always late for recording in the afternoon. But today, you arrived early and have eaten breakfast as well? That's just seem too out of the ordinary for me, or maybe it's just me overreacting."

Eddy looked at the Brett, whose hair was sticking out in all directions. He was certainly amazed since Brett could easily deduce what was going on in his life as if he could read his mind or something. He was lucky that Brett just woke up without his glasses, or else he would have been exposed on the spot.

"Yeah, you are just overreacting. I'm fine, stop worrying about me like a freaking child, even though I am one year smaller than you."

"Okay then, little boy." Brett said sarcastically, "Enjoy your practise time. Imma head out and grab some coffee later, call me if you need anything." Eddy exhaled a relieving sigh as he watched Brett walking like a drunk person towards his bedroom.