chapter ten

I was chewing on the end of my pencil as I stared down at my notes. I was studying for an upcoming quiz in business and was highly stressed.

"Thea!" Abby calls out and I look up from my spot under the tree.

"Hey Abby." I smile as she makes her way towards me.

"I haven't seen you in a while." She says as she sits down.

"Yeah, I've been busy. I'm still adjusting to all my classes." I tell her.

"I can tell." She says as she looks at all my notes scattered around me.

"Yeah, I'm known to overstudy a bit." I laugh.

"A bit?" Abby questions, raising an eyebrow.

"Okay, maybe a little more than a bit." I say causing both of us to chuckle.

"So, Vince tells me you're in his business and calculus class." Abby says.

"He's in my calculus class?" I ask. I had never seen him in my class and I made it a point to know as many people as I could in all of my classes.

"He's smarter than he looks." Abby says.

"Oh, that's not what I meant. It's just I've never seen him and I'm there first everyday, I thought I would've seen him." I explain.

"Yeah he says in every class you sit right in the front." Abby says. He noticed where I sat? That was interesting.

"Well I have to get perfect grades or my mom will kill me. She always tells me CEOs are not B-grade students." I say.

"So, your mom has big aspirations for you?" Abby asks.

"Yeah, she wants me to take over her business." I say.

"Oh, that's cool. What is it called?" She says.

"Cold Creek Records." I mutter.

"Wait, Cold Creek Records? As in one of the biggest record labels in the country?" She exclaims.

"That's the one." I mumble, looking down. I hated when people knew what my mother did. It just made me uncomfortable and less trusting. I had already been used to get fame and popularity before and I wasn't keen on being used again.

"You don't seem too thrilled about it." She notes, looking at my downtrodden expression.

"Music's never really been my thing, I prefer the fine arts." I tell her.

"Did you tell your mom that?" She asks.

"She's never home long enough for us to have a serious conversation." I say.

"What about your dad? I'm sure he has an opinion on this." Abby says and I feel a pang in my heart.

"I'm sure he does, it's just too bad I'll never know what it is." I mumble.

"Oh, I'm sorry Thea. I didn't mean to-" Abby starts, pity covering her face.

"No, it's fine. You didn't know. It doesn't really bother me anymore, he just decided to up and leave when I was 3 and I haven't heard from him since." I explain.

"That sucks, I'm so sorry I brought it up." Abby apologizes.

"It's fine, I'm over it now." I tell her.

"Well, since I kinda ruined the mood, do you wanna come to a party with me tonight?" Abby asks. I was apprehensive, especially cause the last party I went to, Aiden was there and I'm not in the mood to see him. I don't think I'll ever be in the mood to see him, to be honest.