Part II -- Chapter 46

May 18

A sharp breath caught in my throat as I walked through the door and dropped my suitcase. Exhausted as I was, I bounded forward and seized the familiar silver bag at the foot of the bed. I had completely forgotten about my first purchase of the year. The hat that ended up leaving me uncertain and jittery every time I placed it on my head. I dug deeply into the folds of tissue paper and pulled it out. A piece of paper fluttered to the ground, and I knelt to pick it up.

After reading the words carefully written in perfect cursive, I had to sit down. For a long, long while. I can't remember how much time passed as I sat there reading the following message over and over again:

Dear Katherine,

If you have this note, I'm sure the beautiful hat has found its way back to you. I couldn't believe you left it behind! You should really be more careful when you're packing... I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like a mother hen, scolding you. But you have to realize the importance of this hat. You must have felt something when you placed it on your head. I know you haven't worn it yet. It scares you, but it shouldn't. You have nothing to be afraid of. This hat is simply part of the story you didn't want to hear. If you wear it for a little while, you'll understand. If I'm still around when you return, I'll explain everything...

Destiny

My hands were shaking. Ever since my first meeting with this woman and her entourage, I had done more than my share of trembling. What was she trying to accomplish? Now I should say what had she been trying to accomplish? She was gone, after all. I tried to remind myself of that. She no longer had power over me. But then I swallowed hard and admitted to myself that, even in death, Destiny maintained a hold on my mind—with a vise-like grip. She had asserted her control over it months ago, and that control had never waned. I was incapable of breaking free. Yet, would I really be free without her?

I shook my head and tossed the hat back on the bed. I was disgusted and intrigued, excited and bored. My eyes studied the silver bag. Asking who had left this for me would be pointless. I remembered the reaction when I told them about my late-night visitor months ago. They were covering up then, and they would cover up now.

If throwing that hat into the trash would do any good, I wouldn't have hesitated even for a second.

Sure, as usual, Destiny's story sounded absurd. Yet, somehow, all she had told me was true. This, too, might be more than just the delirious ranting of an ill woman. In my heart, I knew that Destiny's mind was nothing but sound right to the very last moment. Once again, everything she had told me would likely prove to be the truth.

So what to do about this hat? This clue of sorts? I forced myself back into the reality of a writer with a deadline. I had to focus on this hotel and the daunting article I had promised to produce in a too-short period of time. Then I would have plenty of opportunities for my own investigations. This excuse comforted me, although I knew it was senseless.

The hat—and the unknown that it represented—made me uneasy. Still, my curiosity pushed me in its direction, begging me to put on that winter hat in the middle of spring. I will do it, I said, trying to bargain with the small, daring part of myself. But not today. Not right away. Decisively, I pushed the hat back into its dark, dusty home and stuffed it into the back of the wardrobe. That didn't mean I would forget about it.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!