Chapter 4 - "Gusu Part 2"

Within the golden core, maintaining the stability of qi is a delicate balance, but once attained, it can enhance the immortal's power significantly.

Among the cultivation methods, meditation is one of the most difficult to master. Hence, training through meditation is a skill that takes years or even decades to achieve fruition. Thus why, when such cultivation takes place, a privately secluded haven is a more ideal location.

Centuries ago, the founders of Gusu Sect chose to settle between two high mountain ranges, as being situated within these protective walls shielded Gusu from extreme atmospheric changes. Not surprisingly, the weather of Gusu Sect has always been mild and provided an ideal oasis.

As an Immortal practitioner, he could cultivate for days or even a half-moon's time without ever leaving his post. But it didn't mean all was well. If one's state of mind was not present, no matter the surrounding tranquillity, uneasy visions would appear. Disrupting all of one's efforts.

Today was like any other near-perfect day if not for one factor.

Someone was here.

Not just someone, a truly daring intruder. A person who possessed nerves as high as Gusu's Mountain peak and skills far beyond the young Disciples of its residence. More importantly, no Disciples of the Sect would goad a Senior during the time of his isolation.

Seclusion, a private retreat for the mind and body. Only when one is away from the noise of life, can one reach enlightenment. Be it by choice or punishment, the goal remained the same. Isolation is an imposed separation of oneself, while solitude is a retreat of the mind.

Still, the fault was his, because he could so easily be distracted by the changing environment. A sign he had yet to reach peace of mind, no matter the fervor of his desire. However, what is needed and what could be obtained is not a guaranteed match.

Curiously, the uninvited guest hesitated for quite some time. As though he couldn't decide if he should make himself be known.

The visitor was agile enough to sneak into his residence, without a sound or whiff on the wind. Even his breath was low enough not to be detected. Who else would it be?

An unforgettable scent, but with a touch of familiarity. The meditator had almost forgotten this unique aroma from that time.

Lan Xichen smiled as he gathered the fluctuating qi to settle it. "Young Master Wei, would you like to join me for tea?"

"Ah...Zewu Jun, you're incredible!" the delighted voice chirped. "How did you know it was me?"

The approachable informality of Young Master Wei's personality had always been a contrast with Wangji's indifference. Lan Xichen opened his eyes, not at all surprised that Wei Wuxian was wearing Gusu Sect white garbs and making his way from the other side of the room. Wei Wuxian still remained as youthful in appearance as the first day he appeared in Lan Xichen's presence, unable to speak due to Lan Wangji's silencing spell.

At first glance, the statement may be true. But as of now, the lonesome dark horse who had once thrived within the herd may appear untethered, but his shackles from a lifetime of woes were still apparent. Those animated eyes were the same as the day when Lan Xichen made a visit to Junmeng Sect, where they shared the offered wine through an exchange of bittersweet words.

If he hadn't warned Wei Wuxian back then, would the bloody aftermath of Nightless City have occurred? These loyal childhood pairs could influence each other without the need for spoken words. Although the brotherly intention to protect Wangji from being perceived as an accomplice was justified, the outcome could have been averted if he had chosen differently.