1|5

"I won't protect you with my life, Irma." I wasn't stupid. I knew that he wouldn't. I opened my mouth to say something but he spoke again.

"I won't protect you with my life because it's a cheesy thing to say. It's weird for me to say it and it makes my brain explode, but I'll still protect you. I'll make sure that nothing bad happens to you. Now that I found you, I'll be two times stronger, but if you're going to die you'll make me weak and that's not an option for me." He paused, trying to see if I had any reaction. Keeping my face expressionless, I nodded for him to continue.

"You'll live in the castle from now on." and here comes the bad part, I thought. "You'll have guards around you all the time, even at work." Coming closer to me and bowing down to my level, his lips were a few inches away from mine.

"I'm a possessive man, Irma and I'll let you go to work because I don't want to take everything away from you, but you'll have to spend time in the castle just as much as you do in that clinic. I don't want my wolf to go crazy and I don't want to fight with him for control, so I'm not going to ask you to sleep in my bed. I'm a patient man and we'll do it when you're ready, but you will sleep in the room next to me."

I was speechless. I wanted to say so many things, but I couldn't find my words. I didn't want to live in the dark side of the palace. I was not ready to live here at all. In fact, I wasn't even ready for this conversation.

"I know your life is a fiasco, love." He lit up another cigarette. "I can sense when your mood drops, I can sense when you're feeling better, I can smell your arousal and I can read your thoughts. I can do a lot of things and I'm trying the hardest not to, but don't make it hard for me. Talk to me."

I wanted to throw something at him. Why was he calling me "love"? He had no right. He knew that I was married. He knew how it all ended and he still had the guts to call me love. Knowing that there was no way of getting out of this mess without getting someone else hurt, I spoke.

"I want things." He smiled. He knew from the start that I will ask for something. My mate was no fool. "You might trust your people, but I don't. They will get inside my clinic, but they won't get an access key, so they will be where I want them to be." I stopped and he nodded, taking a sip from the whiskey glass that was on his desk.

"I'll go inside and outside of the castle whenever I want. If I'm going to spend more time here, I need a place, so I can work in silence. Do we have a deal, my King?" I teased him while I reached out my hand for him to shake.

I could see amusement in his eyes and he made me feel insecure about it. I never met a man that could make me insecure about something, but there was a first time for anything. Taking my hand in his and kissing it, he never broke the eye contact with me. A shiver ran down my spine and my mouth got partly open. I wasn't expecting that.

"Deal." Then he took the whiskey out of his cabinet. "Come after me." He said heading to the door. Even if I thought the King of Death will be an old grumpy man, he wasn't. He was in a good mood, now. He wasn't as bored as before and he didn't looked pissed anymore.

"You're tired." I found myself speaking.

It was one of the things I noticed when I entered the room. His movements were slow and lazy, his whole body was tensed and his hair was all over the place. I frowned. He looked like he could use some sleep and a free day. He sighed and took his jacket off.

When my whole body tensed, he stopped his movements for a few seconds, but then he continued to loosen up the tie knot. I could see his muscles tense through the shirt fabric. That was enough to make me wonder about how was sex with him. He wasn't my type. He was too tall and way too muscular for my liking, but somehow I found him attractive.