Fate

It had been a week since the aura surrounding Hyrule castle had vanished; a week since the monsters camped all along Zora river had fled or died. A week since Calamity Ganon had lost . It was unbelievable, but Princess Zelda stood before King Dorephan, Sidon’s father, and conveyed her tale. Sidon could only watch, feeling stunned, as Zelda described the final battle with monstrous Ganon and how Link ultimately ended the beast’s life--the Hylian fought with such courage and bravery.

He should have been happy for Link and he wanted nothing more than to hug his beloved Hylian and embrace him, but...fate was cruel. With teary eyes, Zelda informed Sidon and his father that as soon as Link had struck Ganon down, he vanished in a dust of light. A weight fell upon Sidon’s heart and he had to excuse himself. His father was asking Zelda more questions about her well-being as Sidon quietly left the chambers.

Sidon passed by many concerned faces, but after a few turns he came to a halt at one of the currently abandoned towers. He collapsed against the center pillar as soon as he was out of sight of any other Zora and glanced skywards. In his left hand, he cupped one of his most precious treasures: the Zora Sapphire; three blue jewels adorned with a golden center piece. It was meant to be give to a suitor a Zora princess (or prince) intended to married.

“Link...are you really gone?” Sidon whispered, his voice cracking immediately. “It’s not fair. After everything you’ve done, all the people you’ve helped…I was going to give this to you, you know,” he murmured painfully and studied the Zora Sapphire. “Certainly, you can’t be gone! I had so much to tell you! A-and we had so much to do together, remember?”

He wiped at his eyes and held back a series of gasps. The sorrow and pain was more intense than the day he lost Mipha; then he was just a child, but now he was full-grown. It was an entirely different feeling of loss and it so much harder to endure.

Sidon paused when he heard the sound of approaching voices and quickly straightened himself out. He carefully tucked his Zora Sapphire neatly along his cravat and frowned. While it was true that his people could finally relax and experience peace for the first time in a hundred years, he was their prince. He couldn’t allow them to see him in such a grieving state and he had to be strong.

“--hey wouldn’t let me near them! And they were acting so odd. I’ve never seen one with such coloring either!”

“I’ll inform Prince Sidon soon. He and the King are in a meeting with Princess Zelda.”

“So it’s true then?!”

After a few moments, he dared to look out from his cover and spotted Mei talking to Rivan and Bazz. He took a deep breath in before he ascended down the stairs and approached them.

“Oh! Prince Sidon!” Mei waved as he came closer, while Rivan and Bazz simultaneously saluted him. “I was just telling Captain Bazz about this strange Zora I saw at Lake Hylia!”

“Mei,” Rivan waved her down and tapped his staff on the tile. “I don’t think we should be concerned about it right now. We need to focus our efforts on repairing the Domain and clearing all the monster camps away. The Prince has many more issues at hand instead of a wild goose chase.”  

“It’s alright, Rivan,” Sidon assured the guard as he turned his gaze to Mei. “What happened?”

Mei smiled--she always did have a bubbly personality--as she cocked her hands against her waist. “I was fishing at Lake Hylia early yesterday morning and I noticed some strange odd... thing in the water! It was a yellow or gold color and I thought it was some rare fish. So, I dove in after it and watched as it swam up onto the lakeshore! And then when I poke my head back up above the waterline, I see a Zora scrambling away! I tried calling to ‘em and wanted to apologize for spooking them, but they just kept running.”