THINKING PINK

"THAT THING YOU GUYS WERE DOING THIS MORNING," I tell Dahlia and Marisol, "with the boards and the ocean. I want to try it."

Marisol, Dahlia, and Ezra all give me a strange look. A while has passed while I've been staring out at the sea and the sky. The conversation has moved on without me in it. I catch Marisol with her mouth half-open, the word half-out. It ends in a short squeak of surprise as my voice cuts her off.

Dahlia's sitting on the glass table with her legs crossed over each other. "Surfing?" Her voice comes out like it's moving through thick jelly. "You want to go surfing? Now?"

"Guys, let's do it," Marisol says. "We can teach her."

"Let's do it." Dahlia says. Her hair is such a brilliant, dazzling deep water blue. It's like the Ionian sea—unreal, lurid, dizzying. It's all-consuming, it's all I can see, this electric shade of blue.

"Why is your hair that color?" I ask.

Giggles erupt from her mouth. "I dyed it. I like the color. It reminds me of the sea, and blue raspberry Jolly Ranchers."

"What?"

"I dyed it," she repeats. "To change its color."

"Can I dye my hair?" I ask.

"We should all dye our hair," Ezra suggests. "I'm serious. We should go to Walmart later and get some hair dye."

"I'm thinking pink," says Marisol.

"Of course you're thinking pink," Dahlia says. "You're always thinking pink."