Volume 1 - Chapter 1

>To clarify: I wrote this novel. It is my original and not a translation. Please enjoy!

A Slightly Hurried Descent

As I enter the classroom everyone stares at me. I'm not mad though. I came into class late and covered in dirt. Though I didn't put the dirt there. If I had a choice I'd come in dirt free, OK?

"Looks like the dog went digging."

Someone murmurs. The class erupts into laughter. Someone went and said it. What I was thinking in my head. Get your own insults! I want to scream at them though in real life all I can do is hang my head in shame.

"Quiet everyone!"

The teacher calls.

"Mell, go to the toilet and clean off that dirt."

I slide the door shut and slink off to the toilets. The scene from the morning roams around in my head. Someone dropped a bucket of dirt on me while I was helping an old man with directions.

"How does that smell?"

Someone had shrieked before running off. Earthy. It smells like plants and metals. Not a bad smell. A bit strong though.

I walk into the toilets clutching my nose. This is stronger that dirt. I hate this place. I run a tap over some tissues and rub at my face. My fingers loosen and I end up inhaling. Ughh!

Sometimes, no most of the time, I wish that I was born normal. I look at my face in the mirror. I look average. I'm too much of a coward to get into any fight so I normally wouldn't make any enemies.

If I didn't have this nose... I can smell most things like what perfume you have on or what you had for breakfast..
Yesterday. Because of my sensitivity I had to wear a mask as a child. People were scared of me. Now I just need to take medicine but the nickname dog-nose stuck. I was fine being alone. I really was...

I go to the changing room and bring out my spare clothes. How many times has food been 'spilled' on me? Speaking of food, I was in the lunch hall when it happened. Rose Dall, a girl from a family of powerful stone users was tired of standing in the line.

 Rose Dall, a girl from a family of powerful stone users was tired of standing in the line

>this is what she looks like.

Most people didn't care and let her in front. The rest were so threatened by her presents and family that they couldn't protest. I had came early so I could have the food when it smelled the freshest.

"Move, dog."

No one had spoken to me for a while so this caught me off guard.

"M-me?"

"Who else would I be talking to?"

She flicked her ginger hair over her shoulder and tapped her foot.