Chapter 12

Chapter 12:

"Elevators or escalators?" Isaiah asks as we pass the elevator. We decided to come 15 minutes early to prepare for our last BOB meeting before regionals.

"Escalators because I like the idea of being in the environment while still traveling." I answer automatically. He laughs.

" Exactly! Also if it gets stuck you can just step off." He adds as he pulls out the chair across from me.

"Why are you debating the value of escalators and elevators?" I ask as I take my books out my book bag.

"Serena asked me about it. Apparently you can tell a lot about someone based on their answer. Escalator means you like the journey and discovering new places. Elevator means you like the destination and aren't good with change."

"Oh wow, that's... something. What did she choose?" I ask.

"Elevator." He says, shaking his head. I gasp, putting my hand over my chest in mock horror.

"It's the ones closest to you that surprise you the most. Are you sure you can date someone that 'only likes the destination and isn't good with change?'" I ask sarcastically.

"I don't know, I'm not dating her." he says picking up the packet of questions.

"Oh really? You guys looked pretty close last week at the library." I tease, hiding my jealousy at the memory.

"So, you're spying on me now?" He asks.

"Maybe I am." I respond with a nonchalant shrug.

"Hm." He nods.

"Hm." I parrot. "Are you and Serena going on anymore dates or..." I trail off.

"Why do you care?" He asks not unkindly.

" Because ..." I take a steadying breath. "I know someone who said she didn't want to be with you a couple months ago but she regrets that and wants to know if you're available so she can tell you how she feels."

" And how does she feel? " He asks.

" She- I like you Isaiah. Last time I told you that...I thought I needed time to figure out everything with my mom's store and that everything needed to fall into place before I could be with you. Then I realized that that was stupid and I was going to tell you how I felt, but then I saw you with Serena and- that doesn't really matter. What matters is that I really like you and I want to give us a try if you're still interested." I say.

" Alisha-" he begins, but we're cut off by the sound of our teammates coming in. We both stare at the door as they file in. I can't even focus on them, what was he about to say? Everyone settles in around us, claiming their usual spots. I sit for a minute, then look at Isaiah, our usual signal to start the meeting. We both stand, he walks around the table and meets me in the front. He looks at the group.

"Give us one second..." He says.

"Can we talk?" He asks quietly. I nod and follow him to a private corner of the library. I lean against the shelf, not trusting my shaky legs.

"I've been wanting to hear you say that for a while now." He steps closer, leaning on the shelf, his arms pinning me in. He leans in, lips almost touching mine.

"So you want to be with me?" he whispers. I nod and close the distance between us. Our first kiss is exactly how I thought it would be: sweet but intense. A promise of a new beginning. He pulls away quickly, a big grin on his face.

"We should probably go." He says.

"Yea we should. Talk later?" I reply. He gives my hand a gentle squeeze as we walk towards the rest of the group to start the meeting.

"Alright we're gonna start with the titles and author quiz. You know the drill, You get 1 minute." Isaiah says as I pass out blank sheets of paper. I sneak glances at Isaiah as we all take our quizzes, wondering if I'd dreamt the past hour. Isaiah looks up and gives me a playful wink when he catches me staring. A team wide 100 later, we start our mock competition with Ms. Johnson moderating. We split the team; half the group on my side and the other half on Isaiah's. We begin the competition with the "starters," me, Keisha and Lamar vs. Isaiah, Julie, and Dylan. The rounds fly with no question going unanswered. Everyone knows their individual books and all I do is confirm what the other team members know. Even when Isaiah and I step out of the competition, everything keeps running like a well oiled machine. We stop the game with a tie. Isaiah and I look at each other in excitement. Our team was ready.