Prologue

Author's note: Picture of  Adam on the side \(^▽^)/ whoop whoop.

Hope u enjoy cx

I walked down the few steps left of the pavement until I got to the driveway of my tiny  blue house. I stretched my arms above my head and yawned.

School was tiring, the walk as well but the walk was totally worth it. I walked up my porch's wooden steps and searched around in my pocket for the keys.

"Fuck" I muttered. Where the hell did I leave them? I took off my black back pack and searched the pockets. Zelch.  My parents were gone all day and in case your wondering no I don't have any brothers or sisters.

I sat on the first step and looked down at my phone. I had about 5 hours before my parents came. Then I'd get a lecture on how "Adam's never responsible, he lost his house keys, he broke up with the hottest chick at school, he's always in the principal's office".  Fuck. I'm screwed.

I sighed and wiped my face with my hand. Then ran my hand through my hair and started tapping my foot impatiently. I'd go in through the windows if they weren't locked but knowing my mom they probably were.

I took out a cigarette from my back pocket and searched for my lighter. I stopped after I remembered it was confiscated this morning. I tossed the cigarette out of my mouth and grunted.

What the hell was I gonna do in five hours? My phone was about five percent and my lighter was gone. The kids in my neighborhood were all playing basketball on the road. They were around 12 and 13. They all knew me as the stranger you need to stay away from. As if I was a creep that had nothing better to do but to become some type of role model for them.

Jimmy was a 14 year old that actually talked to me. He was like a little brother to me, but he wasn't out here right now so I'm still screwed.

"You dropped a perfectly good cigarette" someone said. I looked over at the man walking up the steps with keys in his hand.

" Do you have a lighter dad?"

"That I do, but Adam your mom won't like you smoking you know. She thought you quit." He said handing me his lighter. He had black hair and brown eyes, he was tall but muscular and very his skin tone was a porcelain white.

We walked into the house where I was greeted with a soft couch in the middle of the living room where I gladly hopped on. I grabbed the remote and scanned the TV.

"Why are you early today dad?" I asked. He chuckled and walked into the kitchen.

"This one idiot pulled the fire alarm and we were all let out early" he said. He walked over to the coat rack and put his black coat on the top hook, revealing his sleeve tattoos under his rolled up white collared shirt.

"Was it Todd again?" Todd was my dad's best friend and idiotic worker at the company my dad worked at. He sold products from across the world over to the U.S.

"Of course it was Todd, when has it ever been anyone else besides me and Todd?" He asked.  I chuckled and settled with Ink Master. Something I've always enjoyed.

My dad popped open a cold soda and handed me another one. I sat up and popped it open. We both sat down watching TV until my mom came.

"Honey I'm home!!!" My mom yelled. She was beautiful. Short magenta hair that reached about two inches below her shoulders. Icy blue eyes and a pale skin completion. She was tall, and wearing her maid outfit as she walked into the living room.

My dad stood up and embraced her in a hug. I smiled and turned my attention back at the TV. I wasn't gonna be disgusted in my parents and their love for each other because they were happy.

"Adam, the school called" my mom suddenly said causing my smile to fade.

" It wasn't my lighter mom I was holding it for a friend" I said hoping she'd buy my bull shit, " besides I don't smoke anymore remember?"

"Oh...yeah. Mhmm. Then why'd I find an unlit cigarette outside in front of my front porch?" She urged on. I looked over at my dad with wide eyes and brows raised. I pouted and tilted my head causing my mother to look over at my father as well.

"No don't blame me kiddo" he said holding his hands up in defense, " I have a lighter if I wanted to smoke I'd straight out do it. I wouldn't waste a cigarette like that" he said.

" They kill people David!! They're cancer sticks" she yelled at my dad then turned to look at me and tossed me a pamphlet from her purse.

I grabbed the pamphlet and read the words 'A tour of California' then I scanned it a bit before tossing it into the coffee table and protesting.

"Mom!! I can't go to California!! Missouri has always been my home. It's got the sweet scent of... well a home" I said scrambling for more words.

"Melissa don't you think your overreacting just a tad bit, sweetheart?" My dad said grabbing the pamphlet. My mom shook her head and stood in front of me with her arms crossed over her chest.

" I gave you so many warnings already Adam. You were caught screwing around with that beautiful innocent girl in the locker room you dumped, you never listen to your teachers and your always late or ditching the school. You've assaulted seven teachers in one semester alone, you set the school's football field on fire and you tagged the boy's locker room with an image of a rocket?"

She questioned causing my dad and me to burst into laughter.

"Look mom, I'm sorry about all that I'll try to behave but don't send me to-"

"Too late. Your leaving tomorrow morning and you pack up tonight. Aunt Emily will pick you up at the airport and you'll be over there in no time, if I hear any miss behavior you'll be sent to military school" she said.

Aunt Emily wasn't the nicest person in the planet, hell she doesn't even come close to the word nice. When I was six years old and went to visit her on Christmas she took away my cookies and told me they were her boyfriend's who is now in jail. She'd always hit me and tell me about her problems. As if I wanted to hear an older woman rant on about her relationship problems or her horrible back acne. Gross. I know.

I looked over at my dad who just shrugged back. With that I made my way out of the living room and into my room. I tore down my posters and   took out my traveling bags that were hidden behind my closet.

When I finished packing up I sat on my empty bed and called up my best friend Ryan saying good bye.

"Your leaving so soon?" He asked upset.

"My mom's kind of making me but she's right.  I had this coming for a few months now you know? And if I don't behave I'll go to military school for three years."

"Adam, just listen to your mom. If she told you to behave then just do it then she'll let you come back right?"

"Yeah." I sighed. Ryan was my gay best friend that I defended. I never understood why people always picked on him for being unique but that was about 12 years ago.

"Good then do your best and come back when you can buddy" he said with a light tone. "Call me when you get there and don't forget that I'm your best friend ok?" He asked, well more like stated.

"No worries dude. I'll call you later then" I said and hung up. I scanned my contacts until I saw Elli's number. I rung her up and sighed when it went straight to voicemail.

Whatever.

She was just my friend with benefits but I'd still miss her company. I looked around my contacts and skipped over to Jimmy's number. I hesitated on calling him because he was probably asleep by now. But I'll just tell him tomorrow.

With that in mind I went straight to bed.