The Conversation...

Ransom's POV:

Okay, I'll be honest, there was no way I was going through the front door to see my grandfather. Why?

1. My family sucks

2. They'd ask questions

3. Read number 1

Luckily, I knew another entry to the house. I got out of the car and walked back to the house. Then I climbed the ladder-like pattern on the back of the mansion that leads to the secret window. I opened it and walked in. It was relatively quiet. Huh, I guess everyone was planning to sleep already. 

I went to my grandfather's game room where I knew he liked to play "Go" with his nurse Marta. I immediately blushed at the thought of Marta but forced it away. I walked into the room and immediately knew something was wrong. I, being me, didn't knock and walked in. Marta and grandfather were panicking and I knew it. I immediately came in and asked what was wrong. 

Marta replied in her panicked state, "I accidentally gave him 100 milliliters of the wrong medicine."

My eyes widened. 

She continued, "I looked everywhere in my medical bag and couldn't find the antidote for it. I need to call an ambulance."

I nodded and helped as she reached the phone and started dialing 911. Then, suddenly, grandfather stood up and ended the call.

"Grandfather? What are you doing?"

He replied, "It's okay. It'll take at least 15 minutes for the ambulance to arrive and we don't have that time. Rather, listen to me on my last wish."

"No! No Harlan." Marta said in distress.

Harlan just said, "Marta, if not for me, then think of your mom. What could happen if you get evicted? Your mom could, at best, get deported. Neither of us wants that."

I looked at Marta shocked. Her mom was undocumented. Grandfather looked at me.

"Ransom, you have to promise me. PROMISE me that you'll keep Marta safe from this. I'm telling you both this now, but some things will happen when I'm gone that will put both of you, especially Marta, in danger. Keep yourselves safe. Here's the plan. Go to my bedroom and one of you put on my hat and jacket. Then go down. Walt will be on the balcony smoking and he will tell you to go back up. Come back upstairs and then Ransom, you need to take Marta out the back door and leave."

That was a hell of a lot to process, but I'll make it work. For my grandfather. I may act like an idiot sometimes, but I care. We both immediately took turns hugging grandfather and were pushed out of the room by him. Then I saw something horrifying, grandfather took a knife and cut himself on the neck. Marta and I both held back a scream as we went into action. Marta decided she would go down. 

I waited for 2 minutes and saw her come back up the oh so annoying set of squeaky stairs. Then we went out of the secret window and climbed down. As we went down, we came face to face with Nana. Well shit. Screw the plan that NOBODY WOULD SEE US. I quickly gave Marta my number as we got into our cars. Marta sent me her address telling me that we would keep her car at her house. I told her that we would be staying at my house. 

She texted me her address and we both started driving as fast as we could to her house. As soon as we got there, she parked her car and went inside telling her family what was happening. Then she got in my car and I floored the accelerator. Not because we were being followed, but because that's how I like to drive.

____________________

What do you think? As you may or may not be able to tell, this will be a little different from the movies.