4

CHAPTER FOUR:

let's go to church

"so when looking for a new place to live you have to ask yourself, 'can i build a minefield, or a moat, or a drawbridge to protect it?" josh said skateboarding down the road.

i picked up my pace on my penny board, skating in a criss cross pattern while he talked to the fourth wall.

"no? move on"

josh grabbed my shirt and sent my board rolling away while i ended up on top of josh.

"what the fuck butt muncher?" i asked laying there. he studied me for a second before i got off of him and helped him up.

i ran to get my board and grabbed it but looked up at the sight in front of me.

"also don't pick one with an unexploded missle in the front yard. that's a deal breaker" i said before i put down my board and skated into a different direction knowing josh was following me.

josh stopped behind me and stared at the paradise cove apartments. i'm pretty sure he lived there before everything happened.

he took a note out of his pocket and looked at it. it was from someone. he wouldn't tell me what it said or who it was from.

we both heard a motor cycle engine and josh darted off.

"josh?" i whispered.

"psst." he said and waved me over to a bush of dead grass.

i kneeled down next to him and kept my eyes on the road, "baron triumph" i whispered as he nodded his head.

baron triumph drove past with a kid locked in his cage.

"someone help me! please help me!" the kid yelled. i had to look away. you can't save everyone in the apocalypse.

josh turned around, "that turd lord catches kids and purees them into hummus."

"the apocalypse didn't eliminate the assholes. it made them worse" i said and put a hand on josh's shoulder.

he took a deep breathe, "we have to rise above.  everyday is a chance to be great."

"be the flow" i finished for him as we both got up and skated away.

"ghoulies, depraved flesh eaters, and motorcycles, and mutated animals aren't the only threats." josh said to the fourth wall.

i sighed knowing where this was going, "the bombs dropped six months ago, and all the kids who survived have more or less maintained their circle of friends."

"we call them tribes" josh said.

"among the tribes are the disciplies of kardashia, the 4-H club, the jocks, and the STEM punks, and countless other small tribes occupying their own territory." i replied rolling my eyes, "its kind of like an anarchy here now"

"but the border shifts so its best to stay in your own lane" he finished for me.

"now that's promising" he said as he stopped skating and looked at a church.