Prologue

"John

         "John... are you listening?"

The bassist responded with a mere hum, though his eyes remained trained to the ground, with his hands buried in his pockets.

Rosemary bit her lip to stop it from trembling. She was longing to see him again... but not like this. His hair dishevelled and unkept. His eyes weary and face fixed with a tired frown. And most painful, his refusal to look her in the eye.

"John..." Rosemary's voice began to break. "Why won't you look at me?"

John's eyes slowly trailed up. He lifted his head slightly to face her and his eyes met hers. Rosemary let out a shuddered breath. His eyes were vacant and expressionless, it was as if he was looking right through her. It was perhaps better when he wasn't looking at her at all.

John retreated from her eyes, shifting them to the table. He frowned at the empty pill containers and the litter of mess. "You haven't been..." He sighed. "...again...?"

Rosemary shook her head profusely. "No. I swear... I've been good, John. I promise." She said almost pleadingly. He had to believe her. She couldn't bear him looking at her like she was a broken doll again.

John nodded and cleared his throat, his eyes looking to his watch. "I should go, I need—"

"Please stay." The words escaped Rosemary's mouth faster than she allowed herself to process the thought. Fumbling, she hesitantly stepped closer to him. "I just... I wanted to see you..."

"Well, I came. You've seen me now. I can leave now." John replied, his stoicism maintaining an unreadable expression.

Truthfully, John could barely hold himself together. Seeing her this way — her face pale and sunken, the light in her eyes diluted, her hesitance to go near him — it was unbearable. But he promised himself to make his words brief and sharp, to remain stoic and motionless.

Rosemary began to take another step towards him. She had hoped to see him under better circumstances but seeing him at all felt good. "Sweet..."

"Don't." John said sharply, this time meeting eyes with her again. His brows were furrowed slightly, and Rosemary took a step back, tears beginning to prick. "Don't call me that." This time his stern tone broke, his voice soft and faint.

As Rosemary heard the fragility in his voice, she mustered the courage to approach him. She took steps towards him while observing him. He didn't object, nor did he encourage her to come closer. He simply watched her, his eyes feverishly tracing her face.

"I know..." Rosemary began. "I know that I probably don't deserve any more of your time, so thank you for coming." She shook her head. Why was she being so formal? It was John, for Christ's sake. She sighed frustrated with herself. "Look, I just wanted... Oh, I don't know!" Rosemary let the tears run down her face this time. She didn't care anymore. She felt stripped of all her dignity before all this. She saw no point in saving face, especially in front John, who of all people, saw the worst sides of her that she despised. "I didn't have a plan. I just wanted to see you."

Rosemary was desperate for a reaction from John but he stared at her blankly, though Rosemary could see by the slight trembling in his jaw that he was trying to keep it together.

John's hands were safely tucked away in his pockets, hidden from her view. Little to her knowledge, they were shaking and screaming to reach out and hold her, to cup her face and wipe her tears.

Rosemary reached her hand to his face, tenderly cupping his cheek. John closed his eyes and reluctantly sighed into her touch. Rosemary smiled slightly to feel his face, but moreso to see him greet her touch. "John... my sweet..." She whispered, letting the warm familiarity wash over her, as she reached her other hand to cup his face. Her voice lulled him into a blissful trance.

John forced himself to open his eyes and grab her wrists, pulling her hands away from him. "Is this supposed to make me forget?" He said quietly through gritted teeth.

Rosemary closed her eyes as she felt the stream of tears return. "John, please... not now."

John narrowed his eyes. "Well then, I'm leaving."

John let her wrists go. Though before he could turn his heel, she grabbed his face again, forcing him to look at her. "Alright, fine! Just please... don't leave..." Rosemary wrapped her arms around his neck, forcing him in an embrace. "I'm so sorry, you know that, right?"

"I don't want to hear that. I want to hear why." He knew his words were harsh but he wanted her to speak to him properly. His voice quietened down. "How could you?"

Rosemary pulled back and sighed shakily as her hands trembled while holding John's face. John softened his expression, and took her hands in his. "Please. I need to hear it."

Rosemary closed her eyes and nodded slowly. "Alright... but... will you stay?"

John looked in her eyes delicately. He brought his hand to her cheek, wiping away a tear stain. "I'll stay."

A/N •

Merry Christmas, lovelies ❤️