Do you really like her?

The final bell rang, signaling the end of the day. Cynthia grabbed her books and we went to her locker. I didn't have anything with me so I just waited for her.

"The day flew by so fast!" she exclaimed, then her face saddened. "How long are you staying?"

"About a week or so," I replied. She smiled.

I followed her downstairs back to the entrance where Riley had dropped us in the morning. I saw Erica talking and laughing with...

Jamie?

"Ben, did you have a good day?" Cynthia asked. "Or did I overwhelm you?"
"You made me feel most welcome, Cynthia," I replied. She laughed.

Then she hugged me.

It was a very surprising move, but I hugged her back. Then she stepped into the black limousine that had pulled up right behind us.

Jamie waved goodbye to Erica and she stepped in as well.

"How was your day?" Riley asked, starting up the engine.

"Pretty well," Erica replied. I nodded, seconding her thoughts.

Riley nodded appreciatively and drove us back to the hotel. The whole drive I sat in silence while Erica was on her phone, texting someone.

"Okay then! See you later!" Riley said cheerfully as she pulled up in front of the hotel lobby. Erica and I got out, then headed to the elevator.

"Why didn't you meet me at lunch?" Erica asked.

I rubbed the back of my neck, embarrassed. "I was, um, hanging out with Cynthia."

"What?" Erica asked, icier than ever. The temperature in the small elevator dropped about ten degrees.

"I was hanging out with Cynthia," I said, avoiding eye contact. Erica showed the tiniest bit of jealousy in her eyes, then they flash back to anger and annoyance.

"You were hanging out with the enemy?"

"Isn't that what we were supposed to be doing?" I asked.

Erica slapped her forehead. "No. you were supposed to be getting information on the suspect via his kids."

"Why were you hanging out with Jamie, then?" I asked.

Erica blushed for a tiny second, much to my annoyance, then wheeled on me. "You dare ask?"

"Uh..." I stammered.

"You dare accuse me of hanging out? Spending time? I was not." Erica looked angrier than ever. I shuddered under her gaze. I had never seen her that angry before.

Just then, we reached our floor and the door opened. We silently headed to our suite, where Alexander opened the door for us.

"Hello!" he said."How was your day?"

We mumbled good and decent. He nodded, then let us go get freshened up. Erica reappeared wearing her signature black unitard and had her hair loose.

Alexander put Cyrus on video call and moments later his face popped up on the laptop screen.

"Okay, tell me everything you know," he said.

I went first. "Cynthia confirmed that Lucio has been working with James Thomas. She also mentioned something about nuclear weapons, but she didn't really go in depth about it. Apparently she spies on her dad a lot."

Cyrus nodded appreciatively. "Erica?"

"Lucio gets his money from other illegal arms dealers. I'm guessing so because he's involved in a lot of illegal smuggling projects and everything. Ben said he has something to do with nuclear experiments, but that's not for sure either. For all we know, he's plotting something big with SPYDER," Erica explained.

Cyrus was silent for a moment as he scribbled something down on a notepad. "Okay, that's good enough for today, but not good enough information to make a clear guess. Tomorrow you both will try to extract some more information, okay?"

We both nodded and Cyrus ended the call. Alexander closed the laptop and nodded to both of us, dismissing us. I headed to my room, but Erica cleared her throat. I spun around on my heels and faced her. She gestured to the balcony and so I followed her there.

Once we were out of earshot, Erica rested her crossed arms on the railing. "So."

"So," I said, not really sure of what to make out.

"Do you like Cynthia?" Erica asked me.

I turned to her, shocked. Why would Erica ask me such a question?

"Um..." was all I could manage. She eyed me nervously.

"Do you, Ben?"
"Why do you want to know?" I asked.

Erica sighed. "I just want to know, that's all."

I shrugged. "I don't know. She's just a really good friend and- wait a minute, why do you want to know this?"

Before I could react, Erica pinned me to the wall. "Because you're not supposed to make out with the enemy."

"I'm not."

"Good." Erica walked back into the suite. I stayed back on the balcony, admiring the scenery. It all looked so beautiful from where I was standing. I allowed myself to relax as I sunk down and sat on the floor of the balcony and closed my eyes. The day's memories came flashing back to me. Cynthia taking her arms in mine, hugging me, smiling, and her beautiful eyes.

Was I in love with Cynthia?

I found myself unsure between Erica and Cynthia. I had known Erica for a couple of years now, but Cynthia only a couple of hours. Yet I had already felt so welcome.

I went back inside and headed to my room. As I passed Erica room, I saw her texting on her phone. She was...

Smiling?

I quickly crept past her and entered my room. The day had taken out a lot in me. Suddenly, my phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID.

Zoe.

"Hey, Zoe," I said, pressing the phone to my ear.

"Ben!" How's your vacation?"

Oh, right. She thinks I'm with my parents. I pretended that my mom had just called me.

"Yeah mom! It's my friend on the phone!" I said loudly. "Yeah, I'm having fun."

"Me too," Zoe gushed. "I'm just hanging out in Spy School with Mike. He isn't going anywhere until the end of the month, so I've found company."

"Great!" I said. "Anyways, don't you miss being on a mission?"

"You're right," Zoe said. "I really do miss being on a mission. It's like my life's gotten boring again."

"Oh well then, see you later, Zoe," I said, then hung up.

I was exhausted. I still had a week of school ahead of me, so I lay down in bed, hoping for some good sleep.

Merry Christmas, everyone! Have a great day!