Act Three

ACT THREE

(Eric is standing just inside the room and the others are staring at him.)

Eric: You know, don't you?

Inspector: (as before) Yes, we know. Eric shuts the door and comes farther in.

Mrs Birling: (distressed) Eric, I can't believe it. There must be some mistake. You don't know what we've been saying.

Sheila: it's a good job for him he doesn't, isn't it?

Eric: why?

Sheila: because mother's been busy blaming everything on the young man who got this girl into trouble, and saying he shouldn't escape and should be made an example of

Birling: That's enough, sheila.

Eric: (bitterly) You haven't made it any easier for me, have you, mother?

Mrs Birling: But I didn't know it was you – I never dreamt. Besides, you're not the type –you don't get drunk

Sheila: Of course he does. I told you he did.

Eric: You told her. Why you little sneak!

Sheila: No, that's not fair, eric. I could have told her months ago, but of course, I didn't. I only told her tonight because I knew everything was coming out – it was simply bound to come out tonight – so I thought she might as well know in advance. Don't forget – I've already been through it.

Mrs Birling: Sheila, I simply don't understand your attitude.

Birling: Neither do I. If you'd had any sense of loyalty

Inspector: (cutting in, smoothly) Just a minute, Mr birling. There be plenty of time, when I've gone, for you all to adjust your family relationships. But now I must hear what your son has to tell me. ( sternly, to the three of them.) And I'll be obliged if you'll let us get on without any further interruptions. (turning to Eric.) Now then.

Eric: (miserably) could I have a drink first?

Birling: (explosively) No.

Inspector: (firmly) Yes. ( As Birling looks like interrupting explosively.) I know – he's your son and this is your house – but look at him. He needs a drink now just to see him through.

Birling: (To Eric) All right. Go on. (Eric goes for a whisky. His whole manner of handling the decanter and then the drink shows his familiarity with quick heavy drinking. The others watch him narrowly). (bitterly) I understand a lot of things now I didn't understand before.

Inspector: Don't start on that. I want to get on. (To Eric.) When did you first meet this girl?

Eric: One night last November.

Inspector: where did you meet her?

Eric: In the palace bar. I'd been there an hour or so with two or three chaps. I was a bit squiffy.

Inspector: What happened then?

Eric: I began talking to her, and stood her a few drinks. I was rather far gone by the time we had to go.

Inspector: Was she drunk too?

Eric: She told me afterwards that she was a bit, chiefly because she'd not had much to eat that day.

Inspector: Why had she gone there-?

Eric: she wasn't the usual sort. But – well, I suppose she didn't know what to do. There was some woman who wanted to help her go there. I never quite understood about that.