Prologue

December, 2016

It was almost Christmas eve. People were busy preparing food and presents because in just a few minutes, the clock would strike to twelve o'clock. While waiting, Zoë, a thirteen year old great granddaughter of Felli, started asking questions.

"Meemaw, can you tell me stories about your teenage years?" she asked.

"What do you want to know?" her great grandma answered.

"Anything. Uhmm maybe about your family since I never got to meet them," Zoë replied.

"Well, my parents were strict. I wasn't allowed to meet any guy except my brothers, papa and some relatives. Sounds boring huh?" her Meemaw jokingly said.

"No, not really. I think that's good because it kept you safe," Zoë said.

"It sure did. But there were also downsides like when I came for a few hours late from school. I played with my friends and completely forgot about the time," Meemaw, Zoë's great grandmother started.

"Why is it a downside?" Zoë asked.

"Because my elder sister, Ate Luisa, scolded me and physically hit me with a piece of thin wood. I was terrified so I quickly ran to find my parents but to get to where the were, I had to go through the woods to get to the other side of the town,"

Meemaw started their storytelling. She told her granddaughter what she saw along the way like the large dogs and the strange woman sitting on the rim of the well applying some type of oil on her back. It was somewhat a horror story.

"Why were they there?" Zoë asked.

"Because it was where the elderly hang our during their free time from all the work they do at the farm, the rice field, or just at their respective jobs," Meemaw explained.

Just when Zoë was about to ask something again, it was already close to twelve o'clock. They started the countdown in the bedroom where the whole family was in because Meemaw wasn't able to walk anymore. She was 79, feeling some pain here and there, and was also battling an illness that was making her body weak.

They all ate their Christmas Eve dinner, shared stories to each other and gave presents away. When everyone was starting to set up tables for their annual alcohol get together, Zoë came back in the room to learn more about her great grandma's childhood.

"Can you share how you and Deedaw met?" Zoë asked.

"You sure you want to know that?" Meemaw chuckled.

"Of course! I always enjoy your stories. I love hearing about how great your childhood was," Zoë answered.

"Well, we met at the festival in our small town back in the province," Meemaw started.