SID

11,000 years ago...

     It was cold today, as it was every day. You shuffled around looking for dandelions to eat. Dandelions were your favorite among all vegetation. It reminded you of your best friends, Sid. He also loved dandelions. You used to eat them together when you were just young sloths. It had been a while since you had seen him. He could be dead for all you know, ever since everyone migrated due to flooding and ice melting you hadn't seen him. You had felt relieved when you saw his family but that soon faded when you realized he was not with them. Your own family spent weeks consoling you. But now Sid was just a fond memory. Sometimes you missed him, although it no longer made you sad. 

     Everything seemed to be good these days. You spent a lot of time with your family and ate good food and made new friends. You were even thinking about settling down with a nice sloth and starting a family. Finally, you found a patch of dandelions. As you waddled towards it, you heard someone else speak. 

     "Oh, look, Manny! Dandelions!"

    "Very nice, Sid," another voice replied back, uninterested. Could be another Sid, you thought. You were proved wrong when you looked up to see your childhood best friend already looking at you.  You didn't know what to do, or say, or even think. Sid was alive after all! You two stared for a minute. The silence was broken by the same uninterested voice from earlier. "Who are you?" 

     "I'm (Y/N)! Sid was my best friend as a kid," You exclaimed, "I thought he died in the meltdown when he wasn't with his family."

     "No, my family abandoned me again," Sid smiled wide. 

     You laughed, that was just like his family! They do that every year. 

     "I'm Manny, this is Ellie, and Diego," the large mammoth said. You took notice of the saber looking right at you. "He doesn't bite." 

     You nodded suspiciously, and took a few steps away. Ellie the mammoth greeted you excitedly. She was very kind, you decided. 

     "We should catch up, Sid," you said, grabbing the whole patch of dandelions and dividing it between you and Sid. 

    "Have fun you guys," Diego said. Sid waved goodbye and you two walked the opposite direction to Manny, Ellie, and Diego. 

     You and Sid walked side-by-side into the woods, munching on dandelions. You two talked about everything that happened between the last time you saw each other and now. He had had quite the adventure. Your life was extremely quiet and calm compared to Sid's. He was still the exact same as when you were younger. It was refreshing to be with Sid after all this time. You had not been happier in a long time. You would never say this out loud to Sid, but you were surprised he had survived this long. 

     As you were walking, you noticed Sid had suddenly stopped talking and was no longer next to you. You heard a crash and screaming. You ran as fast as your short legs could carry you, and found a gaping hole where the source of the noise came from. 

     "Sid!" You called into the hole. You heard his screams so you took a deep breath and jumped in.