Yesterday

~~Meg~~

At the Cavern, we were figuring out if I could do what Paul does. 

"Now, Meg. Your big moment is singing Paul's song, Yesterday. Think you can do it?" John said.

"Well... I can sing pretty well" I said. 

I wasn't lying. Charles Wallace was a fine singer but his voice was a bit shrill. His speaking voice was high yet adorable, but his singing voice was a bit pitchy.

Sam's voice is beautiful, but she couldn't sing low notes. 

Calvin's singing voice was... well... he was NOT a Beatle. And when he sang high notes, it was a little more pitchy than Charles Wallace. "And it might have been treason" Sam once said.

"Okay, so Meg can sing. She's learned bass, but in Yesterday, you have to play an acoustic guitar with a string quartet." George explained. 

"Ooh. I'm fine at playing bass, but when it comes to acoustic guitar, I actually can't play a note" I confessed.

"Oh no! We're sunk!" Charles Wallace shouted. "Stop saying that!" Calvin scolded gritting his teeth. 

"Hold it, lads. Maybe one other kid could play the guitar in the background and Meg can pretend to do it. If you kids are good with the acoustic guitar" Ringo said.

"Isn't that like cheating" Sam said. "If Meg can't do it, it's not like cheating. Cheating's wrong. If she pretends to do it no one will know" John said.

"Oh yeah. Meg pretending to play acoustic guitar when it's really one of us. TOTALLY not cheating" Charles Wallace sassed.

"Ya know what? I say go for it. The show must go on." Sam sighed. "That's the spirit!" John laughed.

"Now. Are any of you three good at playing acoustic guitar" George asked. 

"Well, Calvin's pretty good. We have seen him play" Charles Wallace said. "Yeah yeah! Come on Cal!" Sam shouted.

"Well... oh very well" Calvin sighed reluctantly. "Alrighty! And Charles and Sam can do spotlights" Ringo said.

"Awesome!" Sam squealed. "Sweet!" Charles Wallace shouted high-fiving her.

"Alright! The show is back on!" George said.

When my big moment came, I had to sing. I wanted to change my mind but I couldn't let Paul down.

Calvin started playing his guitar and Sam and Charles Wallace pointed the spotlight at me. And I shyly started singing.

Yesterday

All my troubles seemed so far away

Now it looks as though they're here to stay

Oh I believe in yesterday

Suddenly

I'm not half the man I used to be

There's a shadow hanging over me

oh yesterday came suddenly

Why'd she have to go?

I don't know

she wouldn't say

I said something wrong

Now I long for yesterday

Yesterday

Love was such an easy game to play

Now I need a place to hide away

oh I believe in yesterday

Why'd she have to go?

I don't know

She wouldn't say

I said something wrong

now I long for yesterday

Yesterday

love was such an easy game to play

Now I need a place to hide away

oh I believe in yesterday

Hmmmmmm

Yesterday

The song, in so many ways, reminded me of the story of Paul and Misty. But I didn't focus on it that long because the audience liked me. They really liked me.

I knew I could do it