Chapter 1

My world shattered as I left Dumbledore's office. My mom was dead. I walked as if I were dead towards the Gryffindor common room. Suddenly, students rushed out of the classrooms. No. This can't be happening. Everyone's thoughts burst through my head. I clamped my hands over my ears, but the voices beat their way into my head. I fell to the floor crying. I suddenly felt a hand on my elbow. James Potter was trying to say something to me. I couldn't figure out what voice was his. I was beginning to shake. I screamed. All the windows shattered. McGonagall pointed her wand and the stained glass went back in place before anyone could get hurt.

"Everyone to class! NOW!" McGonagall shouted.

Everyone fled the hallway. Within a minute, it was silent. I took my hands off my ears. My breath was still heavy.

"Wow Lux love, I never heard you scream at me that loud," he smiled.

I opened my mouth to speak, but McGonagall spoke for me.

"Mr. Potter, can you please take Ms. Scamander back to common room? I shall dismiss you from your classes for the rest of the day."

Professor turned and went back to her classroom. I stayed on the floor cherishing the silence. James offered his hand. I refused to take it and got up by myself.

"Thank you, James. I can manage on my own though. I know you don't like missing class," I said sarcastically.

I turned to leave, but he grab my arm. His thoughts tumbled into my head. I don't want to leave you. I'm worried. It was weird to think James Potter was having these thoughts. He usually is just trying to ask me out.

"There's nothing to worry about," I said looking back at him.

"I want to walk you back," he said releasing me.

Suddenly the transfiguration classroom door opened and three boys stumbled out. I turned to walk away. James was too distracted to stop me. I turned the corner and stopped. I climbed up into a windowsill. I closed my eyes to listen better.

"Detention for you three?" James asked.

"Hey, we were just coming out to spy on you and your little lady. We just didn't expect you to get nowhere," Sirius joked.

Sirius, Remus, and Peter really felt bad for James though despite their jokes. James has had a crush on my since second year. I rolled my eyes and popped open the window. I slipped outside to run to the tree by the Black Lake. A nest of Bowtruckles lived there. I put my hand in and a certain mischievous Bowtruckle named Leak climbed on to me. He stuck his tongue out at the others.

"Mom is dead," I sigh to Leak on my shoulder. "I guess it will just be you, me, and dad."

I walk back to Hogwarts with Leak climbing through my long auburn hair. I sat outside. It was October. I knew it was too cold outside for anyone to bother me. I rested my head on my knees and cried. I should of expected it. Mom was an auror. That's what happened to people like her. I was a fourth year and I knew this very well. Leak rested on my head wining. He hated when I was down. I sat there feeling empty. I knew dad would not send me a letter. He was a magizoologist. No doubt he was trying to track down mother's murderer. I would hear from him when the deed was complete.