Chapter 6

"Shayne stop fidgeting!" Olivia scolds him as she scoots closer to him.

They stopped at a gas station because she needed to use the restroom and he filled the tank but now her hands are cold against his ears, applying some kind of odorless ointment because she's taken pity of his skin. Her fingers are gentle and he can smell her perfume, warm and sweet.

She kneels on the bench to reach his left ear and she's much closer now.

"You have to take care of yourself" She advises rubbing small and tender circles until she's content with the result. 

Soon she's handing him a lip balm, making him groan.

"Olivia" He grumbles but still does as told.

"You're a handsome man Shayne but no girl wants to kiss chapped lips or hold dry hands" She stated. 

She's bossy and he'd be lying if he said he doesn't like it. She's small, but packs so much strength and will. Had he been more forward, he'd ask her if this is a personal preference, if she's grooming him so when the time finally comes he'll have soft lips and good skin. 

"One day I'll take you for a manicure" She said. 

Once she's seen him applying the lip balm, she returns to her seat, putting his beauty supplies away in the glovebox. 

She crosses the seat belt and soon they hear it clicking. 

"I enjoy a good smell on a man, one who makes sure his hands and lips are soft on a woman but his grip is tight" She said. 

Her voice becomes a whisper, and they both feel the cabin has become a little stuffy. 

"Don't you like a girl who is soft to touch, who smells sweet and has supple lips?" She said.

It feels as if his throat had constricted, because he can only manage to nod his head. It takes him a sharp intake of breath and some water to finally be able to go back to driving. His lips part and for a second his brain is tempted to blurt that he wants her. Just her. Instead he coughs again.

Olivia spends an hour upset about burning her tongue with coffee, which would be hilarious if she hadn't shot daggers at him when he laughed. She pouted and said it had been a decent coffee, even if her tongue felt funny now.

When the Phoenix signs start to reveal they are close, she seems to get excited. She even takes her pocket mirror and checks her hair, applies lipstick on her lips and even some perfume, because apparently she needs to look even more amazing.

"Who are you trying to impress?" Shayne jokes as he takes the scenic route, which may or may not be to impress her as well.

"I want your mother to know she's welcoming a human being and not a slob" She says while taking in their surroundings. 

A smile grows on her lips as they see a lake, half frozen, glistening under the city lights. He turns on Ontario Street and tells Olivia about how his mother chose a smaller apartment, closer to her job after the divorce because she hated to drive. Besides, she knew she would be by herself once he left for LA again. The two bedroom apartment is in a busy part of the city but Olivia guesses it's perfect if Shayne's mom is living a busy life.

They park, and Shayne does his best to unload the truck without help, which proves to be tricky considering Olivia's massive suitcase.

"Um, may I help you?" Olivia tries with a guilty smile.

He stifles a laugh, shouldering his duffel bag and rolling her suitcase. 

"Just worry about your handbag, I wouldn't want you to break a nail because I would never hear the end of it" He joked.