Chapter 14- Put it on a Shelf

I sit in the backseat next to Joslyn. Maya changes the song for the millionth time and Katy is completely focused on the road. It's the start of August and its heat like this that makes me thankful for drop-tops.

Joslyn and I devour the sandwiches that Gregory packed while we sit in the back seat.

"God bless, Gregory," Joslyn licks her fingers. "He looks like a male model and he can cook? I'm about to poach him from you guys. Deadass."

"Ew, don't call him a male model," I groan.

"Yeah," Katy says from the driver's seat. "He is not a male model. That's understatement of the century. He's a sous-chef sex god that looks like Michael Ealy."

"Bitch, I told you he looks like Michael Ealy!" Maya laughs from the front passenger seat.

I shake my head and laugh at my friends' fangirling.

Maya switches the song again.

"Fuck! Stop changing it!" Joslyn screams.

"Well your music is ass. This is why I don't like using your phone as aux," Maya switches it again.

"Just use my phone," I roll my eyes in exasperation. I stretch to reach the cord and plug my phone in.
The day after I broke her wall, Ms. Jones asked me to get together a group of friends to volunteer at the local library in collaboration with her charity fund. That's where the four of us are going. From what she told me, Scott was playing football inside and that's how the wall broke. The fact that he covered my ass makes me feel 100x worse.

"Finally. Some decent music,"  Maya relaxes.

"If I had the energy to use my fingers, just know I'd be flipping off your bitch ass," Joslyn says.

"Love you too," Maya blows a kiss through the rearview mirror.

"So is it just us volunteering?" Katy looks at me through the mirror.

"She asked me to get some friends so I assume she asked Cole too," I cough.

I notice all three of them make eye contact through the rearview.

"What?" I sit up straighter.

"Where did you go after Cameron's party?" Maya asks.

"You just dipped early. Were you mad at us? Or did the whole Cole and Caleb thing just ruin the vibe? Because I would've got my ass out of there, too," Katy adds.

I hesitate to tell them. They're going to think I'm insane. But they would know if I was lying, anyway.

"No. I was at Grace's," I confess.

"What the fuck? Why?" Joslyn faces me.

"She wanted to know what happened between me and Cole," I say.

"You didn't actually tell her, right?" Joslyn shakes her head.

"I did," I answer reluctantly.

The car is silent, but the judgment is loud. Who can blame them? Grace and I are basically mortal enemies. Maybe I wasn't scared of her opinion because all she ever gives me is insults.

"She wasn't as big of a bitch as usual. She was actually...sweet."

"See? I always knew there was good in her," Maya grins.

"Fuck off," I say.

"Okay, what about Cole?" Katy pipes up. "We thought you were with him after Cameron's. Especially after he beat Caleb's ass in your honor. Talking about it probably resurfaced some feelings. How's it been at work?"