1

This is the first draft & only a sample. This book is published. Published version does differ a bit.

Get ready for steamy romance, non-stop drama, a woman finding and fighting for her happiness, cute moments, and all the feels! Reverse grumpy sunshine, brother's neighbor

Please note: characters are in their 30's. Also, this story contains references to other Romanos, they each have their own books.

This is a spin-off of my 1 Million reads story: incidental Fate.

SOFIA: Book 1

Inconsiderate, one of Luca's most famous attributes, yet for some reason, I thought he'd spare his sister today. But alas, here I was stepping off the elevator onto his floor to play the dreaded guessing game of who would I find behind Door Number One?

Please don't have a bed full of women. My knuckles were up, rapping on the door while I stepped back, clearing the doorway in case a stampede erupted. You never knew with Luca, getting trampled by a rush of women had become par the course when your eldest fratello was Manhattan's most eligible bachelor and most notorious playboy. Not to mention today was his birthday.

The elevator chime struck at that moment. Apparently, he was right behind me. "Finalmente!" I called, except the man walking out was not a towering Italian in a black Brioni suit. Unbelievable. I lifted my fist to Luca's door once more while unfurling my fingers from the phone in my opposite hand, staring at the blank screen. We were over twenty minutes late for dinner now, for his dinner!

"Excuse me!" a man said, sending me stepping closer to Luca's door. "I don't think he's home," he continued.

You don't say. "I see that. I'll wait." I glanced over my shoulder at the man unlocking the door across the hall, balancing an armful of bags. Ah, a courier. I looked back at the door in front of me, then my phone, both of which were silent.

"You're welcome to wait in my place!"

His place? I pivoted on my heels, meeting a disheveled, messy-haired, scruffy-faced man, wearing sweatpants no less—in one of, if not the most prestigious building on the Upper East Side.

He propped the door open with an elbow, nodding for me to follow in as if I'd walk into a stranger's home. "I've got a chair right here," he offered, inclining his head to his place.

"I'm fine, thank you." I spun my phone in my hand just as Luca's name flashed on the screen with a text, home in 5.

"You sure you don't want to come in?" the neighbor badgered, still standing in his doorway with loaded arms, gaze darting between his apartment and me.

"Is there a reason you're so insistent?"

He laughed, juggling the bags once more. "That's right. New Yorkers aren't neighborly; lock your doors at night and all that. He knows me!" He tipped his head towards Luca's door. "Probably not by name, but if you ask him about, Hey Fucker."