5

"Finally back!" Eric announced, his hand planted firmly on my back as he ushered me up the stairs with the rest of the subway commuters.

I'd spent the day following his lead, watching him fawn over the city. He had no destination, no appointments, nor did he take any calls. His focus was solely on New York. A place I'd lived my whole life, yet never took a moment to notice, to give it the attention and praise it deserved. Our hours together felt seconds, and somehow, it was dusk.

"Did you conquer your fear?" he asked.

I had, though now there was a new one in its place. Once I left him, I'd be back to feeling alone, even if Paulo were home.

We stepped onto Fifth, immediately getting dusting by snow flurries.

"I didn't know it was supposed to snow!" He stared up at the delicate flakes drifting, catching them in his palm. He was enthralled by the simplest things.

We continued, following the crowds over the crosswalk and up to his building—the last leg of this tour. This was it. This was our goodbye.

"So, I'll—I'll see you around." He raised his arms for a hug, then his gaze dropped to the book in my hand, and the rings sitting atop it, glistening under the streetlight. He lowered his arms back to his sides. "Yeah, um. Well, I had fun today. See you around, Sofia."

"Sofia!"

Merda. I stiffened at the sound of Luca's shout. Heart racing, palms clammy, slamming the book into Eric's hand. "Don't mention anything about today!"

"Why?" He turned around just as Luca walked up.

"Do we have plans, Sofia?" Luca threw his arm over my shoulders, breath reeking of vodka.

"I stopped by to check on you... and I'm glad I did. No more heavy drinking, Luca!"

He belly laughed. "The night's young! I'm just getting started! It's my birthday weekend—give me a pass!" He gave me his infamous grin. "In fact, you're coming with me! Both of you!" he demanded.

Both? "No, I'm good." The last thing I needed was to have Luca on one side with Eric on the other.

"Wasn't a question!" Luca huffed. "You're both coming with me!"

"I'm down!" Eric chimed in. "I could use a drink after—"

"No one needs to hear about your day!" I warned him.

"Uh, okay," he mumbled, searching my face.

"Great!" Luca's grip clamped, locking me in and leading me up the block to the bar.

He swung through the doors, promptly dropping his arm from me, and charging for the bar.

"Does anyone ever say no to him?" Eric asked, laughing.

"No." Luca was too powerful, and his rage was too unpredictable.

"Shot!" Luca handed me the tiny glass as we walked up. This was needed. I swallowed it in one gulp, exchanging the empty glass for another.

"Now!" Luca shouted, tossing back a shot himself. "Do you have a type, Eric? Blondes, yeah? Or at least they were last weekend."

He liked blondes, how original. Not that it bothered me. What did I care what a perfect stranger liked in a woman? Even if it was incredibly predictable and basic.

"I—I like all women," Eric bumbled.

"That makes it easy! Hey!" Luca snapped his fingers, gesturing a blonde over.

Fire hit my veins, scorching my skin, the heat coursing through me becoming unbearable. I fixated on the glass in my hand, imagining it flying, smashing into the woman's face.