Chapter Two: Glass Prison

Morning arrived with the sounds of accusations flying in the air. Leighton could hear the argument between James and her reflection was now in full force, any minute mums aggravated tone would pulverise the ear drums of all in the near vicinity. She supposed that her reflection was certainly keeping things authentic in the relationship of herself and brother or maybe James was just annoying to everyone unfortunate enough to share his company.

Rubbing her aching eyes roughly, she blinked away the kaleidoscope of shapes and colours that appeared in her vision before stretching her stiff muscles as far as her spine would allow without serious injury. Leighton had not heard her reflection rise this morning. Sleep had not been peaceful; exhaustion in the early hours of the morning had swallowed her whole, thoughts of the old woman disturbing her already strained mind.

Going to the mirror she looked out her glass prison and sighed. The bedroom door remained closed as it always did; the warning of being lost into oblivion if she tried to leave was something that was repeated quite regularly. Leighton had tried the door the first opportunity that presented itself but her reflection locked the door without fail.

Footsteps pounded up the stairs as her reflection all flustered and angry charged into the bedroom. The door was left wide open.

Distracted and muttering curses that would have her grounded for a month if her mum heard, her reflection searched the room.

Leighton decided to keep quiet and not ask what she was looking for. She could see the landing; no black holes loomed ready to swallow her up. Trying to be subtle she glanced around and slowly moved to the door in her bedroom of reflection. It seemed bizarre to look out and everything be on the opposite side. She had grown use to her bedroom being the other way round now that it almost seemed normal except for the big fact she was trapped.

The door beckoned her closer. Her reflection was distracted. She could make a run for it. A heavy weight filled her bones. And go where she thought sadly. No one could hear her, she had screamed at the top of her lungs when she had realised that her reflection had tricked her, no one heard her pleas only the dog had barked but Beau always barked. A sudden thought occurred to her what if Beau had heard her shouting.

“I do hope that enthusiastic expression is not aimed at a silly escape plan?”

Leighton jumped. Her reflection stood with her nose almost pressed against the glass of the mirror her eyes barely containing the rage that threatened to spill over and drown Leighton.

“I..I..er no I was just...looking.” Leighton hated the sound of defeat in her voice. Even if the dog did hear her, what could he do? He was just a dog.

“Good.” said her reflection simply, all rage evaporated like rain under hot sunshine.

The sudden smile from her reflection was so unnerving that Leighton didn't want to keep eye contact, she felt a tell tale twitch niggle at her eyelid; something she did when she felt nervous. Trying to act casual she sat upon her bed breaking away from the piercing glare that seemed to penetrate into her mind.

“What were you looking for?” she asked politely. Her reflection glared accusingly and Leighton instantly regretted speaking.

“My diary.”

My diary?” said Leighton in surprise and recovered quickly enough not to glance at the loose floorboard that her reflection was standing on.

“Yes, as I said my diary!”

Sarcasm dripped teasingly from her reflections lips but Leighton wisely chose to ignore it. The anger was too apparent in her reflections eyes and she was certainly not in a position to aggravate It further. Not if she wanted to get her life back. And that was what she intended to do.

“What exactly do you need my diary for?”

Her reflection repeated the sentence in a whiny mimic trying to bate a response. Leighton held strong and remained silent, waiting patiently. A thunderous scream of her name made her jump.

In a blazing fury James burst into the room charging straight at Leighton shoving hard.

Leighton watched with a mixture of horrified pleasure as her reflection went crashing to the floor shock and pain spreading across its face.

“You ever set me up like that again Leigh and I swear I'll show mum and dad what crap you write about in that bloody diary of yours!”

Having angered James many times Leighton knew pissed off but the look that was in her brothers eyes was pure hatred and hurt. She could see the skin around his eyes was all puffy and swollen from where he had rubbed them dry. His laboured breathing told her that this wasn't over. Her reflection flinched slightly as James stepped closer fist clenched. Leighton couldn't help but feel a small leap of satisfaction at the flicker of fear that flashed in her reflections eyes before the look of irritation returned.

James looked like he was going to say something more but their mums voice called out for them to get a move on. As fast as he came into the room he was gone. Moving closer to the mirror Leighton pressed her fingertips to the cold glass.

“What have you done to my brother?” she snapped as a slow burning fury uncurled in her stomach. No one but her was allowed to torment James that was the unspoken rule of sibling law.

A sly smile stretched across the reflections face as it stood up straightening the dishevelled school uniform. “I was merely playing my part in this role of yours.”

Curling her fingernails into her palms Leighton rested her fists against the mirror resisting the urge to pound the glass and break free. “What do you mean? What did you do to him?”

“I may have spilt my drink on his bed sheets.”

Poor James thought Leighton horrified. No wonder he hated her; or the thing that was playing at being her. James had suffered night terrors as a small child and would often wet the bed. Even though he no longer suffered any mishaps it was still a sensitive issue. Many times she had helped him change the bed and hide it in the laundry. Their mum knew the routine but was happy to let James believe she was unaware if it helped ease his embarrassment. Leighton had never used it against him; until now.

With a burst of laughter her reflection disappeared out the door shutting it firmly behind. A few seconds passed before she realised she had not heard the tormenting click of the lock!