Prologue

When Alexander Lightwood got his Hogwarts acceptance letter, he had not expected to be sorted into Ravenclaw. Born to two very famous Aurors, that had both been Gryffindors, he was certain that he would be following their footsteps.

And yet, to his utmost surprise, he found that the hat's opinion on the matter was entirely different. It had barely touched his head when he heard the loud voice shout for all in the great hall to hear, "RAVENCLAW!"

And as Alec sat on the table of his new house, making new friends and thinking about the future waiting for him, he couldn't help but notice the boy with tanned skin and spiky hair that was looking towards him from the Slytherin table. Alec thought that he was wearing glitter but that wasn't possible.

"GRYFFINDOR!" yelled the hat and Alec was distracted. He forgot the boy in an instant and gave his attention to the newly sorted girl named Helen Blackthorn.

That day Alec noticed a lot of things. He noticed the magnificent ceiling of the great hall. He noticed the delicious food that magically appeared on the tables. He also noticed that despite being sorted into Ravenclaw, he didn't feel sad. A bit disappointed yes, but not sad. He was feeling hopeful and excited about what was in store for him.

What Alec didn't notice was that the boy with the spiky hair from the Slytherin table, was still looking towards him. No, Alec did not notice the boy but the boy certainly noticed Alec.

The hours passed in a flash and Alec soon found himself enveloped in heavy blankets and thinking that Hogwarts might just be the best thing to ever happen to him. He couldn't wait to write to his siblings, Isabelle and Max, and especially to his best friend Jace.

It was past midnight when Alec managed to fall asleep, with a sense of satisfaction and contentment filling his heart. At the same time, a boy named Magnus was struggling to sleep in his own room, in the Slytherin tower.

He desperately tried to fall asleep but every time he closed his eyes he thought of a boy with electrifying blue eyes. Tomorrow I'll talk to him, Magnus thought. I'll talk to him and we'll become best friends. Magnus did not talk to Alec the next day, nor any other day of the year. In fact, he avoided him as much as he could.

And so, 5 years passed by without Alec and Magnus ever talking to each other. They simply looked at one another when they thought the other was not paying attention.

But on Alec's sixth year at Hogwarts, and Magnus's seventh, everything was about to change.